UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Joe Passed Out

Jeanne

Joe is back from the vet and they could not find any abnormalities in the heart or lungs so that's a relief. He has a heart murmur which I now know is a grade 2. So nothing conclusive, the only other thing they could do is an ECG but the results from the xray & scan don't warrant it apparently and he was a little anxious at the vet so I wanted him home asap. He didn't need a sedative so he must have been a good boy. :smile_anim:

Shame they had to shave his beautiful coat off the side of his chest for the scan, hope it won't take long to regrow. Perhaps Tag will settle now Joe is home she wouldn't eat her breakfast this morning! :worried:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Just back from the vet tonight after a similar episode where Joe collapsed again. He was conscious but trembling and unable to get up. By the time we got him to the vets (after waiting for them to call me etc.) he had recovered so there was nothing to see except his heart rate was a little fast which could be anxiety of being at vet.

Coming home after getting him out of the car he was quite bright and even ran a few steps up the garden! The vet said to give him an extra Rimadyl in case it was his arthritus causing him pain.

Just back from the vet tonight after a similar episode where Joe collapsed again. He was conscious but trembling and unable to get up. By the time we got him to the vets (after waiting for them to call me etc.) he had recovered so there was nothing to see except his heart rate was a little fast which could be anxiety of being at vet.

Coming home after getting him out of the car he was quite bright and even ran a few steps up the garden! The vet said to give him an extra Rimadyl in case it was his arthritus causing him pain.

:GroupHug: :mellow: Based on that advice I think I'd get a second opinion elsewhere to be honest. Arthritis causing sufficent degree of pain to give him these kind of symptoms, disappearing as suddenly as it came & for long periods of time? Sounds like your vet has no idea what the problem is & is consequently just talking nonesense to me. Whatever is wrong with Joe I'd be amazed if that proves the explanation

I agree with you Ian it doesn't add up about the arthritis and I don't think the vet does know what the cause is. He ruled out a couple of things but as there are no clinical signs to help him it would mean more intrusive investigation to try to discover the cause and we still may not be able to treat him. As Joe is 15 yo and has other problems (i.e. arthritis) I am reluctant to put him through too much purely so that we know what is going on. Also Joe does get a little anxious when something different, like vets appointments, happens.

We don't have video/camera phones but when I said to the vet 'would it have helped if you witnessed the episode?' he seemed to think he wouldn't have learnt any more than from my description.

It's so hard knowing what is the right thing to do.

At 15 years old I agree with Jeanne, my Joe used to have seizures from a young age which were mainly caused by food allergies or if he was stressed. At this age quality of life is more important and that quality of life also includes as little as possible done at the vets.

Jeanne, if you put a photo up I can send him Reiki which may help. :GroupHug: