UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Merlin, My Gentle Boy

Mrs Mop

9th September 2000 to 3rd May 2010

Merlin was born and raced in Northern Ireland then abandoned and was found in a pound with very little time left. It was thanks to a wonderful lady who saw him in the pound and got him out that I had the pleasure of 6.5 years loving him.

Greyhound Action Scotland, along with 3 other Greyhounds, brought him across from Northern Ireland and rehomed him to me. He was in a terrible state when he arrived and also had a small cut on his tail. Two days later the end of his tail blew off with infection and the vet had to take 6 inches off it. Merlin was so full of infection that it took 2 double courses of antibiotics then a double course of the 2 stongest antibiotics that my vet had to clear the infection from him, he then grew 2ins.

Merlin was such a gentle dog, no matter where he went everyone loved him, when taken into hospital to visit my husband it would take me at least an hour to get to him because everyone wanted to stroke and talk to Merlin and he adored all the attention. He was especially good with the really sick and old people and was tall enough to reach across the trollies for them.

He became well known at the vets, first he managed to get a box of Chocolates off a shelf 7ft off the ground, ate the lot, cardboard box, Christmas wrapping paper and wrappers. When the vets opened him up, many of the chocolates were still in the wrappers.

Next he managed to open a cupboard door that I thought I had made Merlin proof, he took out a bottle of salmon oil, managed to get the screw top off and ate about 40 capsuls, I let the vets deal with it.

Merlin wasn’t very bright unless food was involved then he was very crafty, he became very obedient especially his recall, that was as near 100% as a dog can get.

He had his problems when he first came, resource and food guarding were really bad but thanks to his love of food was easily sorted. He refused to leave my side when I let him off the lead, he stuck to me like glue but on an extending lead, he would investigate.

In March 2007 he was diagnosed with a disc problem in his spine, my vets operated, it is an animal hospital and there are quite a lot of consultants there as well as 2 orthopaedic ones, the disc has slipped and calcified, the vet had to use a small hammer and chisel to get it away from the spinal cord, it was in danger of cutting through it. Merlin made a quick recovery free of pain.

In March 2009 he was diagnosed with the early stages of kidney failure which my vets managed to keep like this until he became ill on 1st May. He also developed another problem which my vets couldn’t find, it was discovered after an MRI scan that he kept trapping a nerve in his spine so sometimes was in pain.

When I got up on 1st May, Merlin was ill, I took him to the vets but he gradually deteriated. He was admitted to the hospital and had wonderful care, nothing was too much trouble for them. I was asked what was his favourite foods, they went and bought fish as he adores that.

On 3rd May at 5.15pm I had a phone call from the vet, Merlin was deteriating and starting to suffer, so off I went to be with him so he could join his sister Gracie and brother Joe who he was really attached to.

Merlin passed away at 6.15pm.

Thank you Lisa and everyone at Gap for Merlin.

Merlin when he arrived from Northern Ireland, 2 days before he came to me.

MerlinbeforeIgothim2.jpg

6 months later playing with his sister Gracie.

MerlinGracieplaying.jpg

He loved to sleep like this in the caravan, he put the pillow there himself.

Merlin23509-2.jpg

One of my favourite pictures.

Merlintwo19609.jpg

Oh Margaret,

I don't get on here as often as I should and I've only just seen this. I'm so very sorry about Merlin, you've had such a lot of loss recently :GroupHug:

I'd like to call on you next week but have lost your phone number. can you please pm it to me?

Merlin, rest in peace big man, know you were loved like no other :GroupHug: