UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Today Is Quit Day

Mags

This is my first day off the cigarettes. I've been smoking for nearly thirty years.

I'm finding it difficult but I'm going to persevere.

I'm using Nicorette Microtabs and I've been practising EFT (aka Tapping) which helps. My husband has never smoked so he is being a great support to me.

I thought if I went public, it would give me more incentive to keep going. I'll keep you posted with how I'm getting on and I'll be honest.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done and good luck :flowers: My OH smoked for over 30 years and gave up two years ago - one of the things which spurred him on was when shortly after giving up a colleague (smoker) opened his car window to speak to him and OH got a strong whiff of stale tobacco smoke from the inside of the car - he'd never realised just how bad he must've smelt (though I told him often :rolleyes: )

He hasn't smoked since and hasn't had to use his asthma inhaler either so it's really worth persevering :flowers:

This is my first day off the cigarettes. I've been smoking for nearly thirty years.

I'm finding it difficult but I'm going to persevere.

I'm using Nicorette Microtabs and I've been practising EFT (aka Tapping) which helps. My husband has never smoked so he is being a great support to me.

I thought if I went public, it would give me more incentive to keep going. I'll keep you posted with how I'm getting on and I'll be honest.

Good Luck....Think of all the money you will save! flowers.gif

My Mother-in-law gave up smoking and she refused to put the money saved into the house-keeping. When she considered herself a non-smoker, she spent all the money that she had saved from not buying ciggies on new clothesbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Good luck! :flowers: Not quite as long as you but I'd smoked for almost 18 years when I stopped smoking - which is now close to 9 years ago! I went completely the opposite direction, joined a gym and started eating really healthily. A couple of weeks after I'd had my last cigarette I took a puff of one, just to try, and it nearly made me fall over and throw up! :sick01: Never wanted to start smoking again since! :)

A friend who smoked heavily gave up and saved all her cigarette money for a year. Then she spent it all on a polytunnel and made some more money raising and selling bedding plants and salad veg.

I will also be watching and cheering, Mags.

Good luck Mags

I've so nearly quit over the past year but then something (usually ex related) sends me straight back to them after up to 8 weeks off :angry: . I've decided it's me being pathetic and making excuses and am having a really determined effort so, if you don't mind, will become your give up buddy. I'm also doing a bit of a Billy and upping the exercise.

I'd love to have a give up buddy :biggrin:

The microtabs taste pretty vile so I've only had 3 of them all day.

Have to admit I feel quite miserable at the moment. I can't sit easy, feel a bit nauseous and have a touch of a headache.

I can't do a whole lot of exercise due to my bad hip but will have to try to increase the walking a bit. I have a whole list of jobs to do around the house to keep myself occupied.

Thanks for the support everyone. It means a lot :flowers:

Well done you,I woke up one morning,reached for my first (of about 40) cigarette of the day and thought this is b****y stupid and stopped from that moment :biggrin: I also used the Microtabs but didn't need them after 6 days because I really did want to stop the vile habit I had.That was about 11 years ago and not had one since.Do get into the habit of putting the money you would have spent aside each day,it is truly astonishing how quickly it builds up - and use it for something special,I had a fabulous holiday in a gorgeous,expensive National Trust Cottage - my treat to myself :biggrin: You will succeed if determine to do so,and you will feel so much better for quitting.

Congratulations Mags and CT on your first day as non-smokers! :flowers: :biggrin: Just think about what is it that you are actually suffering from when you get withdrawals. There is no pain..... its your mind and the drug working together to get you to have another. Don't give in, you can do it!! I quit about 3years ago and its the best thing I ever did. If you struggle at specific times, ie after dinner, change your routine. Sit in a different chair or do something different to what you normally would. :wink:

I really feel the time is right. I've been building myself up to it for almost two weeks and the fact that I didn't chicken out when it came to the day has to be a good thing.

I am mainly doing this for myself but my husband and son are also very good reasons. This probably won't make sense but when my five year old son says "Are you going out for a cigarette Mammy?", it just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I sort of wonder would he know what a cigarette was at this early stage of his life if he wasn't seeing me smoking all the time??

I was trying to explain to hubby yesterday why I still have a pack of cigs in the press. It's my comfort blankie but it's also the ultimate test of my strength.

Last night I really did toss around the idea that I could have a disgusting microtab or a lovely cig. The microtab won!!!

I went to bed last night very pleased and quite proud that I had stayed off them for a whole day.

Then this morning in the shower, I was quite overwhelmed by the smell of soot (can't think of any other word to describe it). This must be the nicotine seeping out of my pores. Have I always smelled like this and I'm only getting it now?

Well done to all of you who have succeeded. Your success stories are really spurring me one.

How are you getting on CT?

Then this morning in the shower, I was quite overwhelmed by the smell of soot (can't think of any other word to describe it). This must be the nicotine seeping out of my pores. Have I always smelled like this and I'm only getting it now?

One of my sons has smoked for years, and to my great relief, gave up a few weeks ago. :biggrin: He has always been a fastidious lad - very clean and well-groomed - but he says even he notices the difference in his skin. He looks healthier already. In fact, last weekend when he was leaving, he turned to hug me, and said "It's ok, you can breathe in now - I smell fresh!" I was amazed that he could detect the change so quickly, but he'd noticed that his clothes had stopped smelling too.

He's lucky in that he can exercise - he's always played football and goes hill-walking regularly - but he says the answer for those boring moments is to a) keep lots of healthy snacks nearby and b) get up and do something if you feel restless.

He has a lovely girlfriend with a health problem and said that he couldn't go on damaging his body while she takes such good of hers. :wub:

I wish you all the best. :flowers: