UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Child Killed By Dog

collies r best

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another absolute tragedy for a child and a dog. However, I don't think we can lay the blame at the door of the police for a failure in their campaign; sadly there will always be totally irresponsible dog breeders and sellers who pass on dogs to anyone with the cash to pay without a thought for the needs of the dog or the sort of owner they are going to, and this applies to any breed or cross breed. There will also always be owners who acquire dogs with no thought for their needs, little or no knowledge and the degree of thoughtlessness and stupidity that puts a child and a dog in a potentially dangerous situation.

How often do we hear a cry of' 'he's never bitten before' or 'my kid loves him, they play together all the time'.I have kept dogs all my life and never left small children or dogs alone unsupervised; my daughter has followed this example with her own and friends children.

A certain well known rescue organisation rehomed a staffie bitch with someone I know after her being in the kennel for only 4 days, with no proper assessment and no home check on the prospective owner. She had to be returned after being very aggressive towards children, which was sad for her but also for her prospective owner.

Without knowing the circumstances of this recent incident it is difficult to predict an outcome, however, it seems to have some similarities to the sad case in St Helens 2 years ago.

Whatever the outcome there will no doubt be even more dogs than usual this Xmas finding themselves in kennels or abandoned due to a public outcry - how sad.

What do you mean Kathy?

I thought it was clear, sorry. I feel very strongly that the seizures and amnesties were unecessary and wrong, and they wouldn't, couldn't and didn't prevent anything. The two major dog incidents since have been in two areas that were hardest hitting towards innocent dogs - Bradford and now Liverpool.

As for "blaming" the police, I have not and would never do any such thing, please don't take my small words and personal view and run with it into something I didn't say nor even imply. :wink:

Another tragic waste of two lives :( I couldn't even begin to imagine what his family are going through.

Narked at the reporting though,did the inclusion of some neighbours comments about supposedly dangerous dogs in the area have any relevance to the story, given that the breed of the dog is yet to be determined, or were they just looking to whip up another witch hunt :dry:

There are various reports of a bull terrier or mastiff type dog, a mastif x pitbull,a bulldog

It also reported that the dog belonged to the boy's uncle, who is a serving soldier.

and that he used to swagger about with the dog , who snarled at people.

RIP poor boy and dog.

I hope the grandmother, who is in hospital, recovers.

I didn't intend to take anyone's words out of context in this instance, just feeling so sad that this is the second fatality in Liverpool and yet the problem of untrained dogs owned by stupid people is widespread. Even a very small dog can inflict serious injuries on a child. A representative from the kennel club was making the point tonight on the news that we need more responsible dog ownership. Is this an impossible task to achieve? It does feel like it at times.

yet again another sad one on my doorstep.....sadly again it wont suprise me if comes out as type as this area is bad for it!.....have a sinking feeling he is one from our church kidz klub

the boys here will meet against the boys from 'across the park' for fights.....people fights....knife fights dog fights... they dont care who gets hurt!!!!

So so sad that yet again though that merseyside police have to go through all this stuff again.....lets hope they learnt a little more wisely how to deal with situation!!!

RIP boy .............run free dog