UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poor Spud

celeste

Spud had three small lumps removed last week and unfortunately the one on his right side has turned out to be grade 2 MCT, thankfully the lab say's that there was a good clear margin all round, and it really was tiny and hadn't grown any in the 6 months or so that I was aware of it, just have to wait and see I guess.

Any body else have/had them ?

Sid lab had one removed about 3 months ago, grade one with a good clear margin. We've had major problems because it was on his thigh and there was not enough skin to sew back up so it kept tearing - he's had 4 ops in total and is still wearing his buster collar a lot of the time because he's a very nibbley kind of boy. We just packed the wound with manuka honey and it's healed well since.

Has your vet recommended any further treatment or is he happy because it had such good margins?

Sid lab had one removed about 3 months ago, grade one with a good clear margin. We've had major problems because it was on his thigh and there was not enough skin to sew back up so it kept tearing - he's had 4 ops in total and is still wearing his buster collar a lot of the time because he's a very nibbley kind of boy. We just packed the wound with manuka honey and it's healed well since.

Has your vet recommended any further treatment or is he happy because it had such good margins?

I've just to keep an eye on it, his was just behind his shoulder and has already healed up, and his lymph glands were fine, from what I've read as long as the tumour wasn't on his lip, paw, or intestines, there's an excellent survival rate (depending on which study ) from 92% to 87 %.

Glad to hear Sid's wound is healing, apparently they can be slow to heal anyway.

:GroupHug: for you and Spud.

Ellie has had 6 mass cell tumours, low to medium grades like Spuds, taken off between January and August and she has a tracheotomy in which makes it more difficult. My vet told me that as long as these are taken out early and not allowed to grow, the cancer doesn't normally spread to other parts of the dog. The also said they usually stop after 3 are taken off but Ellie had to be different. :laugh:

They are worrying, for me I am more worried in case I don't find them but I check weekly to see if anymore have developed.

Like Ellie, I am sure that Spud will be fine even if he does get another one or two, as long as they are taken off with big margins he will be.

I've just to keep an eye on it, his was just behind his shoulder and has already healed up, and his lymph glands were fine, from what I've read as long as the tumour wasn't on his lip, paw, or intestines, there's an excellent survival rate (depending on which study ) from 92% to 87 %.

Yes, that sounds very promising. Sid sends Spud a very manly hug. :biggrin:

Cherry had a Mast cell tumour removed about 18 months ago. She had two ops because the wound wouldn't heal, but when we used Manuka honey on the wound, it healed over the gap. She has been fine ever since, with no reccurence. Big :GroupHug: for Spud and you, and a kiss from Cherry. :flowers:

Spud say's " fank yoo fur al mi snogs i dus luv snogs "

I've just been out and spent £70 on suppliments for him ! when Celli (his mammy) had cancer they kept her going for 7 months when the vets said she had 3 months tops, so who knows, might do the trick again. I got him Grape Seed Extract ( funny how it doesn't have the same toxic effect as the whole grape) Q10 and Ellagic Acid, I may have just spent £70 on a bagful of placebo's but what the hell, he's worth it :wub:

I've also made an appointment to speak to the vet to see about a more "active" form of keeping an eye on him, I'm thinking a blood check and a grope of his lymph glands every six weeks for the first six months, does any one else do similar ? I'm not sure if a blood test would tell me much, I'm just a bit paranoid I think

Cancer's not getting this one with out a big bloody fight :box:

A big thank you too for the survivor posts, they've given me a bit more hope.

Oh, and when I was in at the vets I asked the receptionist to have a look to see when I first mentioned the lumps to the vet, it was August last year ! and in all that time the MC ones hadn't changed at all, it was the one on his leg that I was worried about, and that was nothing at all !, that has to be a good sign :worried: