UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I'M Pregnant

Amanda Jvv

I know it's easy for me to say because I've done it four times but honestly birth is nothing to be frightened of. It's a natural process that your body already knows how to do, it's been programmed that way for millions of years! With a healthy, straight forward pregnancy all you need to do is relax, listen to your body, do as it tells you and let nature take it's course. And stay off the bed! In labour you need to be up and about, let gravity help you birth your baby. It really is easy :biggrin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one who's had 4. Three normal deliveries, with babies weighing between 9 lbs 2oz and 11 lbs 3oz (honest!), and one C-section - the latter because the doctors induced me too early and my poor daughter wasn't presenting properly. :angry: They told me that she might weigh as much as 13lbs, since my third baby had been so big (after all that, she weighed a teensy 9lbs 2oz - exactly the same as my second baby).

Hold out for a natural birth, if you can. Better experience for both of you.

I'd agree with the others about staying out of hospital beds as long as possible. Keep moving - and that goes for getting labour to start too. Be as active as you can right through the pregnancy.

I am only 5' 2", and weighed under 8 stone at the beginning of each pregnancy - and each time, my weight went back down again within a few months (breast-feeding helps hugely, as does pushing a big old-fashioned pram around :rolleyes: ). There's no point in saying labour's always easy; but it is bearable, and very exciting. Don't watch old movies where the heroine screams and flails around - I never heard or saw anyone do that. I admit to grunting a bit. :blush02:

I am not heroic in the least, and I don't like pain, but the births of my babies were probably the best moments of my life (sorry, men :biggrin: ).

Yet another who has had 4!!!!

Sorry I can't give too much advice about labour, my longest one was 6 hours. (My 3rd) Even that stopped in the middle for about 3 hours and I had time for coffee and breakfast!!!!laugh.gif Went into hospital at the latest time possible After walking the dog, doing the shopping, usual kinda things you do in labour!(First one was nearly born in the liftrolleyes.gif ) and was back home as soon as possible.

Ha ha ha. Thanks for all the advice. It is definitely my intention (despite the fear) of having as natural a birth as possible. I dont plan to be too fixed on my birth plan and am happy to consider whatever needs to be done to get her out. I have read lots of advice on keeping active and staying home as long as possible as well as letting gravity take its course. I quite fancy being in the birthing pool for the first few stages and then getting out to give birth however with 1 birthing pool in the hospital if anyone else wants it that day my chances are slim.

Keep the advice coming. I feel like if I know stories of all possible outcomes then I can be prepared if that happens to me.

Most of all I am excited too :laugh:

Thanks everyone.

Ps: Only thing I am saying is her name begins with a B!

Have had 6 babies, 4 were born at home. They were the best births, because it seems more natural in your own surroundings. Plus there are your own germs and less likely to get an infection from another patient!

Keep active as long as you feel comfortable, it will help you stay fitter for labour and a quicker recovery after the birt

Agree with what has been said so far, keep moving, stay as upright as possible, and if you think they will try to get you on the bed kneel at the side of it. Gas and air is fine if you feel you need some pain control, as it is out of your system (and baby's) very quickly. Remember to breath deeply and slowly, stay calm, and let your body do the work. Welcome each contraction, remember that each contraction will be bringing you closer to holding your baby!

Cook some meals ahead of time and store them in the freezer, not just for after the birth, but for those days when you are tired from being up in the night, or baby has been feeding non-stop because of a growth spurt.

Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy, people may start to give up their seats for you and watch out for those who cannot help pat the "bump"!

at present I have a low lying placenta so may need a caesarian but this is likely to move as the uterus moves up.

I had one of those with one of my 4 and yes, it did resolve itself and caused no problems.

I don't think I'd better tell you about my first delivery but I did go on to have 3 more children so I obviously got over it.

In my day we weren't encouraged to get up and walk around so I can't say if it helps.

I agree with collies r best - take whatever drugs you are offered.

And one bit of good advice I was given - after the birth you'll probably be offered a sleeping tablet to help you get to sleep at night. Take it.

Pam

• 1 month later...