UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ollie Not Good - Need Some Advice

Tempest

Not sure where to start really but Ollie seems to be going downhill and I just don't know what to do.

We've been on holiday in Devon for a week and thought the journey would be too much for him so my parents looked after him (they haven't had him for about 6 months and were shocked in the difference in him). When we got back mum said he'd pooed in the house a few times, had fallen down the stairs twice and then his legs went and he smashed his head into the patio doors on another occassion and she'd thought he'd concussed himself :mecry:

We picked him up on Saturday and I had a long chat with Chris/my parents about things and we agreed that now I'm off work for the summer I've got a lot of time to spend with him and see how he is - Chris is in America with work for 2 weeks so it's just me and Ollie at the moment.

I was hopeful with the fact that I know his toilet habits and could manage things so we wouldn't have any accidents in the house. I've let him out twice this morning and he's had a wee, refused to eat any brekkie and while I'm on the PC he's just squatted next to me and pooed on the carpet :mecry:

I've noticed that he doesn't really seem to 'squat' like he used to but tends to poo now while he's still standing up which I think is because he can't control his back legs v. well.

When he was first diagnosed with this brain problem both vets told us that eventually he would lose the ability to go to the toilet properly as his back end is most affected and I think that's now started to happen :mecry:

The other thing is that in the evenings he just won't settle, he paces up and down the lounge for quite literally hours and stares into space standing in different spots and just won't rest. It honestly exhausts me watching him so I don't know how he manages - I would have thought that he'd just want to rest/sleep but it just seems like he can't settle and is constantly agitated. We tried Vivotonin but it didn't make any difference.

I just feel like we're in a downward spiral and things are only going to get worse. If I'm honest I must admit that I'm finding the pooing in the house really difficult to manage, particularly now it seems to be a regular thing and I know the situation will get worse not better.

I've always said that if he couldn't eat, didn't want to go for walks or became incontinent those would be things that would make me think that it was time to really think about what was the right thing to do - I don't feel like we've hit that point yet but I feel like we're on the way there and there's nothing I can do :mecry: I think I feel worse as Chris is away so I don't feel like I've got someone to talk to about things either :mecry:

:GroupHug:

I am sorry, it's never easy to watch an old friend go downhill, when Louie started to have fits he would do the pacing thing for hours after wards,I found that really difficult and would try to get him to settle, but of course he couldn't, it is very wearing to watch. He'd lost control of his bowels, but that didn't bother me so much as the pacing.

Thinking of you and Ollie :GroupHug:

I am so sorry Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

I can totally understand how upsetting this must be for you, particularly as you are having to cope with it on your own. But you are obviously doing a great job and I am sure that Ollie appreciates it in his own way.

I had a very similar experience with Bouncer, and whilst I am certainly not an expert (a bit of a novice really), I think that the only thing you can do is make sure that he is comfortable and happy, which you are clearly already doing. When Bouncer stopped eating I took him to the vets for acupuncture to help stimulate his appetite. It did help some-what, and also helped with his arthritis. He found it hard to hold himself too, so I put down some puppy training pads from Pets At Home, which helped to protect the carpet area.

When this was happening with Bouncer I found it very hard to speak to anyone about it without bursting in to tears, but I was very fortunate that the lovely Melissa (Oldies Club) was able to tolerate my blubbing and offer me lots of encouragement. I think sometimes (as chessy as it may sound) it helps to get it out and lean on others for support, as you are the one that Ollie relies on the rest of the time.

I really hope that things improve and, as I said before, it sounds like you are doing very well under difficult circumstances. Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Oh Jules :GroupHug: :GroupHug: You know that Ollie has been one of my very favourite dogs-who-I've-never-met for a very long time, and I'm so sorry to hear that he's not very well. I'm sure though that Ollie knows how much he is loved and cared for and that he feels as safe and comfortable as he can be. I've not got any advice I'm afraid, but just want you to know that we're all here to lend a listening virtual ear whenever you want to off load. Sending lots of :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: to Ollie, who is so lucky to have found such a wonderful, caring mum to look after him :flowers:

Sorry no advice really other than I am sure you will know when the time is rightsad.gif I have been there so many times, watching our oldies deteriorate and failing. Some folk do not tolerate much at all, if they are the slightest trouble they send them on their way but I have never given up on them even though it has worn me out!

It is stressful and very wearingsad.gif

I know what you are going through but all I can offer are my sympathies and lots of these Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

I'm really sorry to hear about Ollie. We had similar problems with my old lurcher, Ben. He would pace the house for hours and nothing would settle him. He was on long-term metacam for severe arthritis. It is never easy and my heart goes out to you. All I can say is that when you feel Ollie has no quality of life to speak of, then maybe it is the time to let him go. This is what happened with Ben. :GroupHug:

It really is a stressful time and you have all my sympathy. My eldrly GSD foster had epilepsy and cdrm and the massive doses of medication needed to keep her stable made her wee vast quantities; she was never incontinent but needed to go out every 2 hours at least and on the days I was at work for 3-4 hours the floor was flooded, fortunately she liked to spend time in the conservatory and kitchen so I used massives of newspaper and towels. The need to go out continued at night so for 4 months so I had little sleep and occasionally slept on one of the cane chairs as it wasn't worth going back to bed!

In her post ictal phase she was also disorientated and the pacing was constant, day and night and I agree, this is very wearing. However, she was worth all the effort and I miss her a lot. She had had a particularly good week when she just couldn't get up one morning and I knew her time had come.

Even on that day she struggled to go out and I helped her go outside but then she just returned to her bed. She had a peaceful, dignified and gentle end surrounded with love.

I t never gets any easier no matter how many times we have to let our beloved pets go but I firmly believe in their own way they let us know when they have had enough.

My thoughts are with you.

Sorry, it is a hard place to be.

I had a dog who lost the sensation in her back end so she did not know when she needed to go.

She seemed to realise at the very last minute but, of course, that was too late and she did it while walking to the door.

She also did it in her sleep, but used to come and bark at us then look at her bed, to tell us. We would clean her bed and she would go back in and snuggle down.

Fortunately, she was quite firm so it was easy to clean up.

She had bad days when her eyes were dull and she spent most of the time in her bed. But she also had good days when she was bright eyed and happy.

When the bad days became more frequent, with only the occasional good day, we knew the time had come.

:GroupHug: