UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Molly Has Come Into Season

cheryl33

Sorry if that's a really thick question but I have never had an unspeyed bitch before (or a bitch for that matter!) so I'm not sure what we are meant to do?

can we get anything to stop her 'spotting'? if thats the word

do I need to keep her away from Henry? (neither seem to have noticed)

how long is it likely to last for?

can I not take her out now?

Sorry, I've been reading conflicting stories on the net so am none the wiser, so am just after some advice x

thanks!x

M-M is the first dog I've had to have a season in many years as my other rescue girls have already been spayed, so this is just my experience and thoughts ...

I kept M-M in for the whole time as a) I didn't want to risk a male dog not taking no for an answer and b) I know from reading from male owners that having an in-season bitch out can be a real pain for them. We played in the garden instead which isn't quite the same as going for a nice bound around the fields I know, but it was fine for a few weeks. I know others do walk their girls but it was a risk I didn't want to take as male dogs can be persistent around her back end even when she's well out of season and she doesn't like it :(

I think you can get pants to put on them in season but I didn't bother, but she kept herself fairly clean I think anyway. I put towels down all over the sitting room floor and our sofa/armchairs and bed have throws over them anyway so I just washed them lots.

I think the average for a season to last is 21-28 days, M-M had quite a long one. The most risky (fertile) time for them is actually after they've finished bleeding, I understand. M-M's girlie bits got really rather swollen at one stage (which is normal) and I waited just over a week after the last sign of blood and until the swelling had gone down, before taking her back out again. I gave her a good shampoo and shower before I took her out again.

Henry is neutered isn't he? I was thinking I might have to separate Max and Sno from M-M as I know some neutered dogs can still want to have a go and some girls can be real tarts when in season but thankfully the universe was looking kindly on us and none of them showed the remotest interest in each other so we didn't have to separate at all. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as we were, but others aren't, so it might be worth you separating them while you are out at least, if possible, in case they are more interested. They can still tie etc. (which can be problematic I gather) even if the boy is neutered, so that's really something you want to avoid. Henry might become more interested at the fertile time - mine didn't - but worth bearing in mind.

I have read that girls can go off their food a bit before/during, get a bit more clingy, be a bit quieter etc., but Mins certainly didn't lose her appetite at all and I didn't real feel she was much different from normal at all.

Hope that helps a bit :flowers:

If the bloods a worry then all you can do is buy some knickers for her, you should be able to get them in the pet shop, or you can adapt a pair of your own knicks, with a hole for her tail and some Duck tape to keep them on, you also put a sanitry towel or Tena Lady in the pants.

The danger period is when she stops showing blood, thats the time she will be most receptive.

As to keeping her in,a lot of people do, I didn't as I have remote areas to walk in but you MUST keep her on lead.

If Henry is entire :unsure: then yes keep them apart, I have a feeling though that Henry's been "done" so unless he becomes a sex pest or has only been done in the last six months they'll be fine.

As to keeping her in,a lot of people do, I didn't as I have remote areas to walk in but you MUST keep her on lead.

I have met a few people round here who have walked their bitches in season but we do meet other dogs and some of the owners have no control whatsoever so I decided for us it wasn't worth the risk for the sake of a few weeks. I was a bit worried she'd be bouncing off the walls but she was fab :)

A season usually lasts three weeks, but can be shorter or longer.

You can buy pants for her to protect your furniture etc. I've never used them so don't know much about them.

I didn't separate my neutered dog from my inseason bitch, but he didn't bother her at all. Assuming Henry has been neutered, see how he reacts with her. A neutered dog can still mate and tie, although there won't be pups.

I wouldn't leave them alone together at all, including over night.

If he is entire then you need to keep them totally apart. It only takes a minute for him to do the deed, as many have found out.

As for taking her out , it depends on whether you walk where there are other dogs around. In that case I wouldn't.

I took mine out in the car to a quiet field where we didn't normally meet other dogs, but they did tend to stay near me when off lead. If another appeared we left pronto.

Even on the lead, she could be leapt on by an amorous dog, so keep her well away from other dogs.

The crucial time is usually around the second week , but again some bitches are different. One of mine was ready for mating on day 8, and she was completely dried up after two weeks.

My other bitch was in season for four weeks.

Speying should be done mid season, so probably three months from now.

we never had a problem with bitches having first seasons, duke goes off his food a bit but was generally ok and didnt obsess with them, but they were kept seperate when we were not around. we just wait it out and go out for lead walks at quiet times and then a few months after season has finished have them spayed.

she may get a bit promiscuous though!

they are all different- Rio had dreadful problems with phantom pregnancy and again after spaying- awful time for her but she was ok in the end

thank you Ange :flowers:

Henry is neutered and we noticed the light coloured stuff a few days ago, but she started bleeding yesterday. She hasnt noticed it and if we put pants on her, she would shred them within a minute :rolleyes: Henry has shown no interest in her so far. I keep them separated anyway while I am at work, as my house would be a wreck if I didn't.

When is the earliest I can get her speyed? xx

ETA: thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it!

When is the earliest I can get her speyed? xx

Vets seem to vary between three months after the start of the last season or three months after the end of the last season. Our vet says from the end, though we have kinda gone for the middle of the two because the vet we wanted is on holiday, inconsiderately :laugh: , but they check to make sure the dog isn't having a phantom, a few days before the op, to ensure all is ok to go ahead. Wibble.

I separated my two when Daisy was in season - because a) they can still tie and I didn't want that happening when I was at work and b)because she was a right little hussy who was trying to hump Duncan every few minutes,he got really fed up with her and I didn't want any problems.He wasn't in the slightest bit interested in her.

I did take her out - no choice really as my garden is tiny but only to the park opposite me or to an isolated beach I know - and always always on-lead.She was speyed 3 months after starting her season - date was circled in red on the calendar - never again,was a nervous wreck watching out for other dogs :rolleyes:

so, is it 3 months when she first starts or 3 months from when it finishes? x

I thought it was three months from start, but then I asked around and it seems to vary between vets as I got quite a split response - but our vet says three months from end so I decided to go with that and then had to bring it forward a little so the vet is not away, so it's kinda ended up halfway between three months from start and end. Confused? Me too :laugh: I would have gone with three months from end, in the end, had the vet been around.

she will bleed for on average 7/8 days and then it will turn to a straw/watery colour and that is mating time!! dogs will be desperate to get to her for the next two weeks at least, altho the first week of the straw coloured discharge is the most attractive to them.Most bitches are on heat for around 3 weeks and their prime mating time is between the 8th and 12th days but all bitches can vary. Keep her on lead at all times and only walk in remote places as it only takes seconds for a randy dog to mate and tie,even if she is on lead !! They can tie for up to an hour and you CANNOT seperate them without injuring both dogs. Throwing water etc does not work. You have to wait until the males swelling goes down and the bitches muscles let go which can vary in time considerably.3 months after the end of the season is generally considered the right time for speying.Bitches often shed a lot of hair whilst on heat,can get grumpy,fussy with their food etc the same as ladies on their time of the month. x

Edited by ranirottie

she will bleed for on average 7/8 days and then it will turn to a straw/watery colour and that is mating time!! dogs will be desperate to get to her for the next two weeks at least, altho the first week of the straw coloured discharge is the most attractive to them.Most bitches are on heat for around 3 weeks and their prime mating time is between the 8th and 12th days but all bitches can vary. Keep her on lead at all times and only walk in remote places as it only takes seconds for a randy dog to mate and tie,even if she is on lead !! They can tie for up to an hour and you CANNOT seperate them without injuring both dogs. Throwing water etc does not work. You have to wait until the males swelling goes down and the bitches muscles let go which can vary in time considerably.3 months after the end of the season is generally considered the right time for speying.Bitches often shed a lot of hair whilst on heat,can get grumpy,fussy with their food etc the same as ladies on their time of the month. x

That was SO helpful! We have Poppy who is 14 months and waiting for her first season. I have never owned an un-neutered bitch, so this is all new to me too. You could just have saved me lots of worry & hassle for when the time comes!