UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fortnightly Bin Collections

Red Rotties

Ok all knowing Fugees, help needed!!

Just been to my bin opened the lid to be greeted by the dreaded maggots. Now I was very good and wasn't sick but closed the lid and got the fly spray and sprayed the bin, but, does fly spray work on the blighters? is there anything else I should use? Most of our waste food goes in the waste disposal in the sink, but things like chicken bones etc get thrown in the bin and these are double wrapped in plastic bags to keep the flies down but obvoiusly with the warm weather the flies are finding a way in

Help needed please!!!!!!!!!!

Nicked from a Google:

The only effective way to get rid of maggots is to remove them along with the contents of the bin.

Pour boiling water over the maggots should kill them

Tip the contents of the bin into a plastic sac that can be sealed or knotted

After the bin has been emptied clean and disinfect it well

Place the plastic sack and it's contents back into the bin ready for your next collection (If the bag remains sealed the maggots will not be able to escape)

Alternatively, you may want to wait until your bin has been emptied on collection day, clean and disinfect the bin and ensure that all remnants of maggots have been removed and then follow the good housekeeping practices.

Complain long and loud to your council and ask your neighbours if they have a similar problem and get them to complain too...it said in the Mail today that several councils are going back to weekly collections after being inundated with complaints about that sort of thing in the hot weather.

the daily mail today says councils have backed down on the fortnightly collections while its hot due to a mass outbreak of maggots. Not too helpfull to you I know but at least you may go back to weekly soon.

As posted, boiling hot water will kill them. a good splash of jeyes will disinfect thoroughly. As bad as it is for the environment, at this time of year, i double bin bag any food and keep a brick on the bin lid to keep it shut and keep flies out.

Have to be careful here 'cause a couple of mine would eat wriggly things if they found them. :rolleyes:

Any left over cat / dog / flushable food goes down the loo.

Bones and stuff get frozen until the night before collection.

It seems to work.

Recycle, recycle, recycle and compost.

There's only me here but I am down to less than a binbag full of waste every 3 weeks. I've got so much compost I'm giving it away and anything that might go mouldy and attract flies gets put in the public bin at the park which gets emptied every few days.

I recycle too and never have a problem with those bins as everything is washed before going in them, waste food (not much when you consider 5 dogs goes in the waste disposal apart from bones and unrecyclablle food cartons I dont have a lot of rubbish, often the bin isnt full on bin day its just 2 weeks at the moment is just far too long. I think its worse this year with the heat and rain than lat year when we went on fortnightly collections cos I didnt get maggots then "shudder!!"

We hardly have any landfill waste and I recycle most things (daughter calls me the recycle queen! :rolleyes: ) We compost and have a food digester, but we STILL get maggots. We only have a fortnightly bin collection and I think it is disgusting in this hot weather. :wacko:

edited for typos

Edited by Brenda