UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have A Confession To Make, And You're Not Going To Like It, Sorry :-(

supafrisk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read up on this, although obviously they are more susceptible due to their build and size and the fact they can still muster the same speeds as a whippet, it is now thought that there are more factors involved, namely diet, exercise and breeding.

In America they don't breed from any dog or bitch that has had a leg break because a common concensus over there is that a lot of it is in the genes, ie, a dog or bitch mated that has had one or more leg breaks is more likely to produce a litter that will be susceptible to breaks.

Some breeders advocate crating pups for most of their puppyhood to safeguard against them jumping, climbing etc. However, there is more evidence to support the fact that constant crating means the muscles surrounding the legs do not have chance to strengthen properly, which then would exacerbate the problem.

A few morons have been known to limit the amount of food given to attempt to keep the size down, again this is more an American thing but obviously lack of nutrients would mean possibly less bone density.

Lottie's breeder advocated some crate training but it was more so she has her own space, more importantly she has at least one room that is Iggyproof, ie, no chandeliers to swing off or wardrobes to jump from wearing a superman costume - okay I'm joking but the back room has been turned into a no climb area so she is safe.

Also the stair thing, dog guards at each end and taken up on a lead and made to use ALL of the steps, as if they get into jumping from the last but one step on the way down then eventually it will become the second from last, third, etc.

Luckily Mark doesn't work now :rolleyes: and hasn't since Christmas so Lottie and Will are never left unless he goes to tescos when I'm working, if he goes to the Co-op he takes both dogs via the park :wink: Never thought I'd see the day Mr. Macho man would be seen out with a hairy whuppitt in commando gear and a dainty ginger iggy with hot pink harness and lead :laugh:

That's really interesting, I'll try and remember ( menopausal ) to ask the owner about his breeder the next time I see him, mind you it was his wife who wanted the dog he had only seen pictures of one and assumed they were large dogs :rolleyes:. The one I know is very rarely of the lead as she bogs of and they can't catch her.

Terri