UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tragic Day

palomino

29th April, just two days ago was a tragic day.

One of the horses at the yard where the ponies are kept had a terrible accident and had to be put to sleep. He was a magnificent ex racehorse who had not had an easy life. No one is completely sure how the accident happened, but he was found early in the morning with his leg broken. It may have been that he was tearing around and slipped, the early morning dew does make the grass very slippery. The break was so bad that the vet was called and came to stop the pain. The end was very peaceful, and he died in the arms of someone who loved him.

Goodbye beautiful boy, I'm so honoured to have known you, even if just for a short time. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It sounds like a spiral fracture.

If a horse has had damage to the leg or lots of hard work they get tiny fractures which dont show unless x-rayed.

Very little impact can make the bone shatter. He could have just slipped . Its terrible and shocking but generally would happen at some point.

Celebrate his great life and remember that there was nothing that could be done which would change it.

Thank you everyone. It's hard when something like this happens, not to want to wrap them up in cotton wool. I turned the ponies out this morning, and Alfie, who is an exceptionally playful pony, was tearing about the paddock as he usually does when he's first turned out in the mornings. Well, I could hardly believe my eyes when HE went and slipped and fell on his back!! He was fine though, but it scared the c**p out of me! :ohmy: He is just one of those ponies that is full of boing and the joys of spring.

x

Somebody once said to me that the best thing that can happen when you look after horses is that nothing happens. They are such fragile animals, you wonder how they survived without us humans to worry about them.

So sorry for those who loved him :(

Thank you everyone, for your care and hugs! :GroupHug: x

Cathy,

Could you in theory take a 6 yr old gelding who has a genetic fault. he is healthy.

Hi

Well, I have the room and the time, but not the funds. What is his genetic fault?

:flowers:

Thank you everyone, for your care and hugs! :GroupHug: x

Hi

Well, I have the room and the time, but not the funds. What is his genetic fault?

:flowers:

Poorly bred so his hips are spread east to west. He cannot carry his own weight let alone someone elses. Shipped to Belgium as a meat horse i assume but then shipped back