UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Should Be In Bed.......

Fee

My husband got home from work just before midnight, upset because he'd seen a very elderly dog wandering alone along the middle of the main road. We grabbed a lead and a few treats and went to see if we could find it - not hard because the poor old dog came wobbling along the middle of the road towards us.

She was very old, seemed blind and possibly deaf and was obviously very frightened. She was wearing a collar with two tags with different phone numbers, but they were so faint we couldn't read them in the streetlights, so brought her back here. I called the first number and obviously woke up a very pissed off lady who said she knew nothing about her. The second number was an answerphone so I left a message.

The poor old girl (Molly) was terrified and didn't seem to know what was happening. Bless her, she did look very ancient and wobbly. I took her into the study away from the other dogs and tried to settle her on a dog bed, but she was blundering around bumping into things and trying to hide behind the sofa :mecry:

I was just preparing myself for a long night trying to keep her calm when her owner called back. He said she was senile and 'kept wandering off and he thought she'd wandered off to die this time'. He turned up a few minutes later and took her home.

I hope to goodness he does something to keep her safe and doesn't let her wander again. It's really upset me to think she could have been run over or confused and wandering out all night in the freezing cold :mecry:

Now for a small amount of sleep before a 6:00am start tomorrow.......

Edited by Fee

I don't understand either, Victoria, unless she'd been out since earlier in the day I suppose. She wasn't in any condition to 'run off' she could only just about hobble along on arthritic old legs.

To be fair, I think when I first called the owner he has been out looking for her so he obviously did care to some extent. I just find it hard to understand how a dog in her condition could 'keep wandering off' unless she's just let out on her own. I just can't stop worrying about her now, she was so frightened and distressed :mecry:

:flowers: well done. Like the others i can't see how she keeps wandering off if doors/gates are shut. Surely after the first wander you would make sure that her area is safe and can contain her. How dangerous for an old girl like that to be left to wander, she can hardly make a quick dash and disappear can she !! x

Oh poor old thing.That's such an upsetting story :mecry: How could anyone allow a dog to go off wandering in this weather,let alone one so old and frail.

Sorry so upset about her I forgot to say well done to your OH and you for rescuing her :flowers:

Edited by zico's mum