UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The 2009 Diet Thread

Wendbert

That's a negative way of looking at it. If you really want to lose weight, you will, you'll find the willpower and decide that the need to lose is greater than the need to eat the bad things. Without being rude, your working hours aren't any worse than anyone elses, to be honest, sounds like excuses :unsure: One of my excuses used to be that working a 12 hour day, by the time I got home I didn't have time to cook anything healthy, so just ate rubbish. Have you got an electric steamer? My parents bought me one and for the weeks that I eat proper food, its fab - veg done in 10 minutes.

If you know you're going to stuff yourself with naughty things, don't buy them!! If you have the Slimfast bars as a treat or snack at work, keep them at work. If you can't trust yourself not to eat a weeks worth, buy them one at a time. Try and work out when are your 'naughty' times and make sure you don't have naughty foods nearby.

You've got to want to lose weight if you're going to succeed :flowers:

I was busy answering this when I started getting my fake heart attack :ohmy:

I nearly always cook real food from scratch every night, I make a point of making time to do this. I don't have a single ready meal or pizza etc in my freezer any more, just veggies. My comment about time was a response to Andreas 'have you got a lot going on', not an excuse, just a fact. I think I have; most days I have 3 'spare' hours which are mostly spent on dogs, housework or food focused. Meals this week have included brown lentil and onion risotto, roast veg couscous, pasta bake made with fresh veg and passatta, and roast veggies (one cal spray). The last three weeks all my snacks have been carrots, grapes and Braeburn apples. Breakfast is porridge or muesli. Lunch is generally a wrap full of salad and beans (chickpeas, kidney etc). I don't drink (much), smoke (ever) or eat meat; I was told at the hospital I had a very healthy intake.

The Valentines comment is because M & I are away in a hotel for the weekend and will be eating out for 4 meals. With all the willpower in the world I cannot guarantee every menu will fit into SWs plan, but I will choose wisely. I will not, however, make Matts meals a misery for the sake of bendiing the rules on a special weekend. If he wants to pick a restaurant that means me falling off the wagon I really don't care. Truthfully I'm not desperate enough to worry for one weekend.

You're right about not buying tempting stuff in bulk and I usually don't; I was daft enough to find something I liked and bought 7, I won't do it again. I bought 7 cos I only get the chance to get to Asda (not seen them for sale anywhere else) once a week. I know my weaknesses are bread and pastries - I've not had a cake, biscuit or pastry in almost 4 weeks, I had 3 slices of bread last weekend and 2 in a hospital sarnie today (only choice available to me) after 20 hours of nil by mouth. I've also cut out all cheese except a couple of v v low fat ones SW allow in tiny amounts.

I do want to lose weight (and I am but slowly) but I can't buy into all-or-nothing, it's probably why I hated the LL way so very much. If I have a bad day, I start again the next one, I won't beat myself up over it.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All sounds very sensible to me Claz :)

Sometimes slow but steady is a better way, at least for some folk. I'm glad you have a sensible attitude to the 'falling off the wagon' thing. There is no point in beating yourself up for something already done - tomorrow is another day.

Keep going and I'm sure the weight will come off for you Claz :flowers:

Claire, your diet sounds very healthy anyway and on SW you can use flexible syns when you have special events. It just means that you can enjoy your meals out without thinking 'Oh well I've blown it so may as well not bother this week'. Its only one day out of 7 or in your case 4 meals out of how many in a week. :wink: The thing you might find helps is to write down everything that passes your lips. Even medicines etc have calories. It could even be that you dont eat enough food. I found before keeping a diary that I was forgetting some of the things I'd nibbled on during the day. :rolleyes: When I keep a diary I do quiet well, but when I dont I find it much harder to lose weight. Give it a try when you are back on a 'normal' week.

Glad you are back home again :flowers:

Misplaced the pound I found last week, and lost another three.

This is despite OH cooking four dinners this week (unusually) and giving me a truly huge mountain of potatoes each time - and I really am not joking.

A business dinner and business lunch coming up next week though. :wacko:

This is despite OH cooking four dinners this week (unusually) and giving me a truly huge mountain of potatoes each time - and I really am not joking.

A business dinner and business lunch coming up next week though. :wacko:

Well done Mrs B. :flowers: Maybe you should get OH to cook more often. :wink:

Claire, your diet sounds very healthy anyway and on SW you can use flexible syns when you have special events. It just means that you can enjoy your meals out without thinking 'Oh well I've blown it so may as well not bother this week'. Its only one day out of 7 or in your case 4 meals out of how many in a week. :wink: The thing you might find helps is to write down everything that passes your lips. Even medicines etc have calories. It could even be that you dont eat enough food. I found before keeping a diary that I was forgetting some of the things I'd nibbled on during the day. :rolleyes: When I keep a diary I do quiet well, but when I dont I find it much harder to lose weight. Give it a try when you are back on a 'normal' week.

I find that keeping a diary helps me too. I tend to 'remember' :rolleyes: the bits and pieces of nibbles, and also it helps me see in black and white whether my balance between fibre, protein, carbs etc. is somewhere near right.

Wow, excellent :flowers:

Well done Mrs B

I've not weighed myself since the hospital episode. I think I'm gonna put it off till Monday, then it will be a week. Diary is a good idea cos I do forget stuff.

I was going to print off menus and stuff from the big pooter this weekend but it'd died. Does anyone know if I can just plug the printer into my laptop or will I need the disc which could be anywhere? :unsure:

Well done Mrs B

I've not weighed myself since the hospital episode. I think I'm gonna put it off till Monday, then it will be a week. Diary is a good idea cos I do forget stuff.

I was going to print off menus and stuff from the big pooter this weekend but it'd died. Does anyone know if I can just plug the printer into my laptop or will I need the disc which could be anywhere? :unsure:

Claire, you can plug in your laptop but will probably need the driver. As long as you know the make and model, you can probably download driver of the internet. :flowers:

Claire, I know what you mean, it took me just over a year to lose four stone on Slimming World. I did not stick to it rigidly and made it fit in with my life (a takeaway or meal out every Friday) A pound a week is not much to aim at losing and it all adds up nicely in the end :flowers:

Well done MrsB :flowers:

As for me, I have maintained my weight for a year now and am just outside my target range (too many birthday celebrations :rolleyes: ) I am really fed up of paying just short of a fiver each week to be told that I am a pound over my target range and keep thinking I should leave the class :unsure: I am scared of putting weight back on though :unsure: :mecry:

Julia, if you are continually a pound over target, reset your target weight. :wink:

I have been a bad girl this week so far, despite promising myself I was going to be better. I had such a rubbish week at work and with the snow, longer journeys etc, I have been eating rubbish 'easy' food. :rolleyes: I am hoping the 'ice walking' two steps forward and one back, will help. :laugh: