UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cesar Millans - Daddy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i dont like Cesars methods of training, I applaud his determination to prove to the world that pit bulls and rotties and other larger bull breeds are just as safe and lovable as any other dog. His work with rescues and shelters and pound dogs seems to inspire many many people into taking a rescue dog which can only be good for the shelters in america

Daddy was handed over to Cesar I believe from a very well know celeb. because they didn't have the time for him, so not a 'rescue' as such but yes he is a wonderful example.

I agree with Di, there are positives as well as negatives with the 'Dog Whisperer'.

Your question re: what would happen if Daddy was in the UK, well I think it's more than fair to say that thanks to DNB, he would have a good chance of being allowed to live.

hmm...i actually like him.......got his book for xmas off OH. As with everything you cnt love every single opinion of a person...no one is perfect but i think he makes people think more and yeah the whole door thing with dog is OTT but i think he is right in doing every little thing with people who have no idea........also we have used the dog back packs he uses and its the only thing that keeps the shep/leon here focused on walks....he is a different dog when he has a task!

and i just adore daddy!!! we are moving to texas in may for 2 years and i cant wait to see real pitbulls and be freely around them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Daddy is a wonderful dog

I like Cesar, after watching is program I always feel positive. With regarding to training, does it matter what training methods you us as long as they work and are not aggressive towards the dog. If somebody told me to stand on my head and wave my legs in the air, to get my dog to do something, I'd do it :laugh:

MMMM DADDY :wub: :wub: :wub: oh and his owner is ok too :rolleyes: :wub: I think Cesar is AMAZING, no not all of his methods are to my liking BUT the amount of dogs his results have probably saved from pts far outweigh his downsides..showing people that aggression is not due to the dog but the human, I love to watch him, the way the dogs respond to him is FAB. I love his Deed Not Breed way of thinking and the fact he gets that across in most of his shows. Daddy ROCKS! :cool:

Shame about the pinch collars though - not exactly fitting with a 'communication' way of working, more like quick results for the TV and the reputation :(

Out walking the other day there was a family with their young son (about 6/7 yrs old) and their dog. When their dog went to sniff Jack and Ted, the young son did that "shhh" sound (or whatever it is!) and pointed at the dog like Caeser does with his fingers. The parents did nothing to stop or discourage him. That's worrying to me, it's Barbara Woodhouse all over again in a way. Don't forget we only see what the programmes show us - and that's designed to show one portrayal and one only. He clearly does have effects but it's far too easy to be blinded.

Daddy is a wonderful dog

I like Cesar, after watching is program I always feel positive. With regarding to training, does it matter what training methods you us as long as they work and are not aggressive towards the dog. If somebody told me to stand on my head and wave my legs in the air, to get my dog to do something, I'd do it :laugh:

He might be a good advocate for pitbulls, but I wouldn't consider prong collars as being a positive method of training. Nor pinning a nervous (terrified) dog up against the wall to confront its fear.

shock collars and prong collars?!!..i've never seen that. was it the early series or does he still do it? i seem to remeber not thinking much of him when i first saw him on tv, just seemed to be choke chains everywhere, on the walk, in the house, bugged me a bit..but i like him now, seems to have changed. but i am gobsmacked at shock collars and prong collars..i've seen him use that wide two tier collar thing, looks like two collars 6 inches apart with something to keep them apart..always assumed thats all just fabric..is it?

I saw an episode a week or so ago where he used a shock collar. I know some will say that there was no choice - the dog was on a big farm and was chasing the owner around in his tractor/other vehicles and she'd already got squashed and lost an eye and they were understandably worried she'd get killed. I can understand they wanted her to keep away without condemning her to having to stay inside all day when she could be out on the farm land, I just hate the thought of the collars being used. I noticed that Cesar put the collar on his arm and showed the vibrating bit but I don't recall him demonstrating the shock element on himself :wink:

I've seen a few episodes with dogs wearing prong collars. I think these tend to be times the owner has put the prong on rather than Cesar but he doesn't tell them to remove the collars like any decent trainer would (in my opinion). The episode that featured the new dog from the Marley & Me author was wearing a prong :(

I've seen a few episodes with dogs wearing prong collars. I think these tend to be times the owner has put the prong on rather than Cesar but he doesn't tell them to remove the collars like any decent trainer would (in my opinion). The episode that featured the new dog from the Marley & Me author was wearing a prong :(

i'm sure i've seen that episode, but never realised :mecry: .will watch much more closely from now on. i thought the marley and me family were meant to be really good with dogs too, didn't they have another trainer working with them as well or am i totally mixed up..i get like that a lot..