UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

*just* A Forum? I Disagree...

dirtychicken

As we're about to ring in another new year, I would like to give thanks and celebrate just for The Refuge being here :flowers:

Often, when there are problems, disagreements, arguments here the phrase "it's just a forum, not real life" gets bandied about and it always makes me feel uncomfortable because I wholeheartedly disagree. I've had the "pleasure" of being a member of several animal related forums and never before have I seen the kindness, generosity, support that I see here on a daily basis. I suppose that it's because I feel so strongly about my family here that I feel very protective of it when people take advantage of the members, but I try to keep my mouth shut rather than stir up more trouble :wink:

I know without a shadow of a doubt that the members here will do anything to help anyone with whatever problem they have - whether it be answering a question, sourcing a gift, offering advice or giving emotional or physical support - and it is always done without question. Quite often, it is also done quietly, behind the scenes at times when discretion and dignity are called for.

I have been the fortunate recipient of so many random acts of kindness from Fugees that I have been blessed enough to meet in person, or that I have spoken to on the phone, or that I have never communicated with outside of this refuge and I am not going to name names but you all know who you are. What I don't think you realise is what an immense difference these things make to the lives of the people you touch. And it is all done without thinking beyond "this is what this person needs right at this moment and I can help"; for no selfish gain or reward :wub:

Just to receive a card or a thoughtful PM at the very moment when you think that things can't possibly get worse can turn things around and show you the silver lining that you thought was gone forever. I don't want to be melodramatic or go over ancient ground, but the last 18 months of my life have seen my little family enduring some of the toughest times we've ever faced and I can't imagine how I could possibly have got through them without all of you being here with a kind word or thought :flowers:

When you witness the terrible things that the human race is capable of inflicting on other people or animals, this refuge goes a long way to restoring faith in humanity. There *are* still good people about who want to make a difference, to help :wub:

So onwards and upwards. Goodbye to the hardships of 2008, may 2009 bring joy, peace and happiness to you all and I hope that I will have the opportunity to return some of the many kindnesses shown to me :flowers:

What an absolutely lovely post, and I couldn't agree more with every word! :) :GroupHug:

I've come to look at the Refuge as my "internet home", where friends and people I've come to care about drop in at random times, sometimes with happy and sometimes with sad news. They've been there to give suggestions and advice when I asked for it, and the support I got when I was worried sick about both Mal and my mum really has helped me through the whole roller coaster. THANK YOU, FUGEES, FOR BEING HERE!! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

And of course ALL THE VERY VERY BEST for everyone for the NEW YEAR!!! :) :) :)

Can only agree with everything you've said. This is real life to many people who open their hearts and bare their souls. Lots of people have been through some really tough times and it's the folk on here who have helped get them through it. This isn't just a forum at all. The longer you are here you eventually meet up with people so anonymity goes out the window. There have been so many acts of kindness it's very heartwarming and it does make a real difference. I have been on the receiving end of them myself and will never forget. :flowers:

It's not just all doom and gloom either. You can have a good old chinwag and a laugh. It's got it all really.

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2009 is kind to you all. :flowers:

A lovely, thoughtful post :) I had never been anywhere near a forum until I ventured on here, didn't know what to expext at all but what I found was a very diverse,caring, warm & friendly bunch of people who between them know something about everything - not just animals! the kindness & support shown to people, most that have never even met does restore your faith in human nature.

Health & happiness to you all in 2009 :flowers:

Lovely thread Sarah :flowers: and everyone that has posted :flowers: It is a fab place to be and Fugees are very supportive and someone (usually many someones) always have a kind word and know just the right thing to say :) It's also a fun and funny place to be and of course the work that goes on to help rescues, in so many capacities, is just wonderful.

A very happy new year to you all - and may 2009 bring you everything you wish for :flowers: