UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Time Travel

celeste

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go back to Tudor England and be at court with Henry VIII, preferably while he was still married to the lovely Catherine of Aragon.

I love her, I think she got a very rough deal. Her tomb is is Peterborough, which I think is strange. I would have thought she would have gone back to Spain.

Can we opt to travel forward :unsure:

I'd like to jump forward 50 years to see if we manage to wreck the planet or if we eventually see sense.

Some of your ideas have inspired me to make a choice

Going back to see my house as it used to be, it's always been a bit of a mystery, there are two very different styles to the house, I think part of it was some sort of shop.

See William Wallace kick Edward 1st ass at Stirling Bridge, and continuing on the Wallace theme, I'd love to see if he really was made into Warder of Scotland in Selkirk.

Biblical times next, what did all those ancient cities look like.

...........and have a bit of an "accident" arranged for Descartes :cool:

I love her, I think she got a very rough deal. Her tomb is is Peterborough, which I think is strange. I would have thought she would have gone back to Spain.

I've seen her tomb, many many years ago. She's always been one of my very favourite people in history. An incredibly dignified lady.

I think I would like to go back and see some of my ancestors, to get a more personal histroy of their life. My great x 3 grandmother came from the Orkney Islands and her husband from Cumbria so would like to know what attracted them over to South Shields to live.

I would like to meet the Brontes and Jane Austen as well.

See William Wallace kick Edward 1st ass at Stirling Bridge, and continuing on the Wallace theme, I'd love to see if he really was made into Warder of Scotland in Selkirk.

I know someone who is descended from William Wallace, which I think is pretty cool :biggrin:

If I was going backwards, I'd like to go to York and see how the Vikings lived (without any danger to my person of course :rolleyes: )

1997 and lay in wait for myself with a big stick...... outside the polling station.

Life would be so much brighter if I didnt have to keep reminding myself about New labour

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Without thinking too big-scale or getting too deep, I would like to go back in time, at various times, to see who lived in our current house. We're not sure how old it is exactly, but gather it goes back to at least the 1890s so it would be cool (hopefully! to see who lived here then onwards. I'd also like to go back in time and find out more about family members who lived in the past.

There are a fair few people I'd like to go back and shoot too :unsure:

I think I would like to go back and see some of my ancestors, to get a more personal histroy of their life. My great x 3 grandmother came from the Orkney Islands and her husband from Cumbria so would like to know what attracted them over to South Shields to live.

I would like to meet the Brontes and Jane Austen as well.

Our ancestors were suprisingly mobile and would often travel the length and breadth of the country in pursuit of work. In the 18th, 19th and early part of the 20th century mining was huge in Cumbria, both coal and slate. If a mine petered out or there were lay-off's it was quite usual for a Cumbrian man to move his family over to the north east where the richest coal seams of anywhere outside Wales could be found. (And for a Geordie family to come to Cumbria if times proved hard over there.) They may have settled permanently or migrated back depending on their circumstances. Many present day Cumbrian and Geordie families have Cornish ancestors for when the tin mining went into decline the miners moved north in search of work in the coal mines. Now if your ancestors weren't miners that lays that one to rest, although in all probability they landed in South Shields for other work purposes and/or they may have had family or friends there :unsure:

I have thought of another time I would like to go back to - the time of John O'Gaunt and meet his mistress and later wife, Kathrine Swynford. She has been a somewhat shadowy figure in history and I'd just like to know for certain the full story of their lives :)

I dreamed last night that I could time travel and I went back to see King Arthur, which now I'm awake doesn't really interest me all that much!

I'd very much like to be able to travel back to the nineteenth century and meet Brunel who is my hero, I've love to see one of his fantastic bridges half built or see the SS Great Britain launched.

Having spent quite a bit of time tracing my family history and finding that actually I don't like my family all that much, I'd really like to be able to time travel to a suffragette rally and see one of the Pankhursts who I share a surname with and who inspired me to start tracing my family tree in the first place.

Another thing to think about when travelling in time, is the age you'd like to be when ariving at your chosen time destination. Would you want to still be your current and real age, or would you like to change to a different age as well? If you want to go back to when you were young, would you want to be there as a youth or as an adult? If you want to run around with Romans or Viking hoardes, would you rather be 21 or 51? I mean, what's the point of going back to the early seventies to play hopscotch if you're still an old crusty when you get there? :laugh:

I'd go back 10 years and change my age by 20 years :laugh: or is that cheating? Are there rules? :wacko: