UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Spike's Needs Some More Good Thoughts Please

houndzrus

We've just returned from the vet's again. she says that Spike's got heart problems and did explain what, but I couldn't take it in, so can't remember much of what she said. The fluid build up is part of it, also the general weakness in his back legs, and the reason for him not wanting to go for walks. :( He's been prescribed diruetics and digitalis, but there were lots of long pauses while she was talking to me and she did say his heartbeat was all over the place. I have to go back next week, or sooner if I'm worried about him. I do try to stay positive, but it's not looking too hopeful for him at the moment.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just returned from the vet's again. she says that Spike's got heart problems and did explain what, but I couldn't take it in, so can't remember much of what she said. The fluid build up is part of it, also the general weakness in his back legs, and the reason for him not wanting to go for walks. :( He's been prescribed diruetics and digitalis, but there were lots of long pauses while she was talking to me and she did say his heartbeat was all over the place. I have to go back next week, or sooner if I'm worried about him. I do try to stay positive, but it's not looking too hopeful for him at the moment.

Oh Marge :(

:GroupHug: for you

Gentle squidges for the hansum Spike :wub:

Will keep sending lots of positive thoughts for all of you :GroupHug:

Can you put a picture up of him please so we can send him Reiki?

One of mine Joe, was diagnosed with a grade 4 heart murmour, leaking mitral valve and and enlarged left ventrical a few weeks ago, since he has been on the tablets he is so much better. He will never be the dog he used to be but at least he does have a life now.

Once his medication gets balanced he will be much better, with the diruetics if he is coughing more I can increase them a little for just the once and this seems to sort the problem out.

:GroupHug:

Oh Marge! Poor Spike :wub:

I don't know if you remember Poppy's heart problems, but she was having fluid building up and regularly had fluid drains. Combined with the various drugs, she had another 10 months with me after being diagnosed. She had dilated cardiomyopathy, but not sure if its a similar problem that Spike has :unsure:

Gentle squidges for the handsome boy :wub:

Oh :wacko:

Can you see another vet? Poppy was initially diagnosed with 'heart failure' but the vet explained that it was a term for heart problems and not necessarily as bad as it sounded. Pops then went in and had ultrasound scans to see what was going on and in her case, her heart was underdeveloped and one side was giving up. She did end up on pretty much every heart drug possible, and did have days when she was very lethargic and didn't want to eat.

Can you see another vet? Poppy was initially diagnosed with 'heart failure' but the vet explained that it was a term for heart problems and not necessarily as bad as it sounded. Pops then went in and had ultrasound scans to see what was going on and in her case, her heart was underdeveloped and one side was giving up. She did end up on pretty much every heart drug possible, and did have days when she was very lethargic and didn't want to eat.

Thanks Wendy, the vet I saw last night seemed very amenable, I might try to change next week's appointment to see him, although he didn't mention his heart last night :rolleyes: The ohter thing is this surgery doesn't have an ultrasound scanner. :unsure:

Sending lots of get well soon thoughts to Spike :GroupHug:

Yama Moo has dilated cardiomyopathy too and it's been 2 years since her diagnosis of "heart failure". She's gone from collapsed in the corner of the surgery with a 50/50 chance of making it through the night (that was a dreary November day that I'll never forget) to barely a noticeable sign that she's "ill". I won't lie and say the first couple of months were easy but we've got it under control now.

Like Wendberts vet my vet explained at the time that they can only make a best guess at the first visit and further tests are needed to determine the actual problem as well as the severity of it. We were referred to the veterinary hospital for the scans and diagnosis. In Yamas case the build up of fluid was the biggest problem and once we got that (and the infection that followed) under control the dangerous extra strain on her heart was lifted.