UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

When I Was Young..

EGAR

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were.

When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,

There was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it

And how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of

thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet.

If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent,

You just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics!

We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'.

Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen...

Forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing!

You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel

And there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning.

Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ...

Imagine that! That's exactly what I'm talking about!

You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled.

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards, The over 30 Crowd

and spam :( my mum made spam fritters. Kids today dont have to eat them. And does anyone remember Virol? It was a mix of a sort of toffee and cod liver oil,it was foul but "good for you" we had to have a spoonful every day. Kids just take a fruit flavoured chewy sweet now. And bedroom meant bed, it was too cold to play up there and we didn't have tv etc up there,just a few toys. Ooooo I could go on.....and on.....and on..... x :laugh:

No phone never mind no mobiles.

We used to either have to walk or get the bus everywhere.

No TV in your bedroom, never mind dvd players.

You used to tape albums and singles for your mates. You would tape stuff of the radio and then the ice-cream van would turn up and tinkle on your tape too. :laugh:

Your entertainment was free. None of this being driven to this, that and the other. You would all hang around and climb trees and stuff.

Take turns riding the one bike between a few of your mates. Play games in the street like elastic, bus stop, knock down ginger, kiss chase etc.

Birthday parties were sandwiches, fairy cakes and icecream and jelly in someone's house. For the adults they got a headache for free. :laugh:

You used to tape albums and singles for your mates.

...ignoring the 'Home Taping is Killing Music' warning off the back of the big card case for the big black vinyl thing! Remember them? We had 'album art' then, and beautiful covers that were real works of art, and works of art that you could actually see! And when they stuck you could give the needle a gentle tap and they would keep going, and if there was a scratch they just gave a little click every time they went round, unlike these horrid little laser things - one tiny scratch or smudge and you have to throw them away, cos they don't work at all any more!

Does anyone remember the 'curry in a box'?

What was it called? We felt very cosmopolitan eating that!!

Was that not Vespa.......or Vesta :unsure: ...........I'm sure there was a vest involved somewhere.My friend has very vivid memories of having the beef one on a Saturday night for a treat.

........and you could put a penny on the arm of your record player if you had a very jumpy LP, my Magazine LP The Correct Use of Soap was like that.........."sigh" those were the days.

I quite liked Spam fritters :laugh: ............no where near the boak level of potted meat.

You were posh if you had colour tv, 3 channels only and it finished at about midnight

Not even cordless phones or kettles, no microwaves. No home delivered pizza, indian or chinese. Take away was fish and chips in newspaper.

What were designer labels ............. and trainers - we had daps :laugh:

for you youngsters

Daps

Daps-722749.jpg

Edited by chickentikka