UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Homeless People

heva

I know this has been mentioned prob about this time every year!!!

i know Dogs Trust do london i think but wondering where we stand with local homeless people and thier dogs!

Was thinking of going round town with some cans (ring pulls) and sample packets of food (or make up sandwich bags of food)

some spare collars or leads.....

think its good idea......bad idea......someone else already doing it!!!!

anyone else in liverpool fancy giving us a hand then lets know!?! was going to maybe get in touch with big issue north west and the local salvation army shelter

I know this has been mentioned prob about this time every year!!!

i know Dogs Trust do london i think but wondering where we stand with local homeless people and thier dogs!

Was thinking of going round town with some cans (ring pulls) and sample packets of food (or make up sandwich bags of food)

some spare collars or leads.....

think its good idea......bad idea......someone else already doing it!!!!

anyone else in liverpool fancy giving us a hand then lets know!?! was going to maybe get in touch with big issue north west and the local salvation army shelter

Perhaps we could organise something as the refuge.

If anyones homeless or alone this Christmas from the Refuge then they are welcome here but I would also be happy to help

doing something for homeless dogs and people on the streets.

I used to be involved in this years ago; so have looked into it. Here in Birmingham the street homeless are pretty well organised with large squats opened by green activists as part of a campaign. There is also a very big Crisis at Christmas set up.

All offers of help are funnelled through that. You dont actually see many begging since all of the underpasses were closed, but then I seldom go into the centre.

I always have open house over the holidays in a vain hope of being able to cook for people, as I have a huge catering cooker that is so seldom used.

But then my house can be colder than the average street, so not many takers, although I have fixed the route.

Met a couple of ppl today with dogs sellig big issue while out xmas wondering........and thought might as well ask them what they need!

Lady was lovely and said im desperate for a harness for my dog as his pulling is hurting and a thick dog coat as she is giving hers to the dog but she is starting to feel the cold now and feel unwell!!!!

How simple...........so going to get some stuff together and do her a bag and she knows of some other ppl and said they are al just so cold!!!!

so if anyone A is local and has any spare harness coats or sample packets of food are really good! then pls let me know!

And if you not local check the homeless or beggers by you and see if they need stuff for dogs as they dont know who to ask!

Great stuff! :)

Can't do this weekend, but the plan for next Saturday is to go to M'cr city centre with a bag with 'leftovers' from my guys. Mal and Kiera both a have thick, quality dog coats, but Malcolm flatly refuses to wear his (he barely moves and looks as if he's about to get slaughtered :rolleyes:), and I'm getting Kiera a neoprene coat, seeing as she'd be capable of still going into the river while wearing her coat and then drown because of all the water it would absorp (:rolleyes: again). I'm sure I gave a few sample packets of food to a friend's boyfriend - who did voluntary work with homeless people - for him to give to those with dogs, seeing as he knew where people tend to hang out. He's moved since though, shame! I might pop into the vet's though, who've got these stands with sample packets, and ask if I can take a few. Can pop into local pet shop as well and buy a big cheapo bag of dog biscuits to share. :)

Was comparing notes with an old mate that spent some time on the streets a few years ago. The worst thing is sitting on cold pavements,with parts that a coat dont often cover.

Over a couple of ciders we have invented the " Doggy bag" a furry vet bed sewn up to create a large bag. Dog can sit on bag or climb inside. With handles or a strap it can be used as a normal bag.

I will attempt to run one up at the weekend, for pics.

I havent managed to get to the shop that selld the Vetbed , as its the one that i need a lift to.

Have you tried making doggie " chap" like trousers from stockinette tube from the decorators shop and and old pillow?

i have volunteered for Justice not Crisis Homeless' campiagn 's Christmas dinner, so I hopefully will be able to find out what the situation is.

Heva - can you PM me your address please cos I've got a harness or two and a dog coat and possibly some other bits which I can send you :flowers:

ETA : I've also got a couple of Parka type human coats which I could let you have if you wouldn't mind handing them out :unsure:

Edited by merledogs

we went out yesterday and met lovely lady and her staffi and gave them a coat and harness adn she was so so happy.... but wanted a few more coats to give her spares for when dog is lying down while she sells big issue as just gets so cold lying on floor all time!!!!

sadly another bloke we knew of collapssed at weekend and dw took dog away.....sadly it wasnt in a good way as it was lashing out at ppl protecting it owner....trying to find out what happened to him :(

If people know of people in warrington, st helens, and merseyside are can you tell me what area they beg in pls and i will go out over weekend and try and get to them. (once fought the rest of this bug off,,,,,grr)

we went out yesterday and met lovely lady and her staffi and gave them a coat and harness adn she was so so happy.... but wanted a few more coats to give her spares for when dog is lying down while she sells big issue as just gets so cold lying on floor all time!!!!

What about a rubber mat to lie on. It wouldn't matter if it got wet and would be warmer than the ground. It could also be rolled up to carry.

Or maybe one of the foam mats that back packers use.