UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fenella Bun Awaiting Dental Work On Friday

owl

I believe the 'no cooked food' thing is primarily because as a general rule rabbits need huge amounts of roughage both for their teeth and for their digestive system to work properly, and need fewer carbohydrates - so 'pre-digesting' food by cooking it is generally undesirable.

Of course this is something of a special case: you do need to keep her gut working, so anything you can tempt her with is worth a go in my view.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycas is right, the no cooked food is generally true but in an emergency almost anything is better than nothing. Sometimes an unwell bunny will just fancy one thing (like the hay) or just eat whatever feels most comfortable in their mouth.

There are a couple of baby foods around which are pure veg (carrot or broccoli I think) or fruit which might be worth trying if you can find them. Avoid any with potato and sweetcorn in though.

If you have some unsweetened breakfast cereals (shreddies, mini wheats, cornflakes) around then you also offer that short term.

Thanks everyone. I'll try her with a bit of steamed veg and some unsweetened cereal. She is still eating hay, and had a bit more bramble leaf, plus I think she has had some of the soaked mix. Been hopping about a bit more as well. And I'll get some appropriate baby food, and pop round to Lesley's for some of the salad leaf thingy.

Little bun has been quietly munching her hay and nibbling a bit at the other things. I woke several times in the night and each time she was eating. She's not eating as much as a healthy bun would, but she's keeping her system going.

Edited by owl

She has enjoyed some baby spinach and pak choi from the growing salad tray which Trallwm Farm gave me, she has been very good about taking her Baytril from a dropper, she is alert and frequently grooming and keeping herself tidy. Thanks for advice Karen, I will ask the vet for some metacam tomorrow.