UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat trick I read on another forum for catching hens, get a small plastic cup, those flimsy crushable ones are ideal, smear the rim with treacle or syrup and place some sweet corn in the cup, leave cup in middle of garden and wait for hen to come toddling along " Ooo,is that corn in there ?" sticks head in, cup sticks to head, pick up hen !.....genius and very entertaining too, I'm tempted to try it just to see a hen walking about with a plastic beaker on her head :laugh:

Poppy Popstar chook is an ex batt who arrived virtually featherless. She wore a neat little fleece all winter and then grew a full feather complement and looked rather superb!

She is now loosing her feathers and is breathing heavily, at times her comb gets a blue tinge. She will sit hunched up with her eyes closed and she does horrid loose poos and has a dirty bum. She still legs it for the food though but then goes back to her hunched up stance. I suspect heart failure and I'm watching her all the time. She lives at the livery yard and as they are farmers it's sort of she'll get better or she won't.

Any advice please! I can't just see her fade away and be so ill and not do anything!

I'd say heart failure too, very sorry :GroupHug:

Today is day 21 for Tiger Lilys babies. Look what I found this morning:

DSC05491.jpg

DSC05484.jpg

DSC05485.jpg

DSC05486.jpg

DSC05490.jpg

It's a white crested black :wub: Tiger Lily is so proud, just look at her little face in that first photo :wub: That one makes me blub, I'm so soft :rolleyes: :laugh:

We've got to go out for most of the day now, I hope to find a few more have hatched by the time we get home :pinkie:

Last nights Poland looks like a chocolate but I've been assured it's not an incredibly rare worth a million squid chocolate Poland but the crele egg has hatched :laugh: Joined this morning by a Brahma too :wub:

Crap photos but until they're all out and about it's the best I can offer:

DSC05506.jpg

DSC05504.jpg

DSC05500.jpg

All done. Five healthy babies. The last Brahma was dead in shell :mecry: It was alive last night, it had internally pipped and I expected it out today. This morning Tiger Lily kicked that egg out so I put it back under her but this afternoon she did it again. I candled it and there was no sign of life. I cracked it open and could immediately see what the problem was. Poor little thing had a twisted beak, so although it had been able to pierce the air sac it couldn't break through the egg shell. The kids demanded I removed all the shell and then we noticed it'd got an eye missing too. I doubt that those two problems were it's only ones and I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision about culling it.

So we now have one blue buff columbian Brahma, two silver laced Polands, one crele Poland and one white crested black Poland. I'll take lots more pics tomorrow of my new babies :wub:

And I might have to persuade Mr Hazell he's seeing double soon :cool: Graham has just said something really really shocking, he's threatened to cull two of his Brahma girls because he hasn't been able to sell them but said I could have them for free! Naughty Graham! I've told him if he's still got them when I'm passing by his place on the 20th he can give them to Emily for her birthday :biggrin: I've no idea where I'll put them, I guess in with their sisters, as my Brahma girls are from the same family but are two weeks younger.

All done. Five healthy babies. The last Brahma was dead in shell mecry.gif It was alive last night, it had internally pipped and I expected it out today. This morning Tiger Lily kicked that egg out so I put it back under her but this afternoon she did it again. I candled it and there was no sign of life. I cracked it open and could immediately see what the problem was. Poor little thing had a twisted beak, so although it had been able to pierce the air sac it couldn't break through the egg shell. The kids demanded I removed all the shell and then we noticed it'd got an eye missing too. I doubt that those two problems were it's only ones and I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision about culling it.

So we now have one blue buff columbian Brahma, two silver laced Polands, one crele Poland and one white crested black Poland. I'll take lots more pics tomorrow of my new babies wub.gif

And I might have to persuade Mr Hazell he's seeing double soon cool.gif Graham has just said something really really shocking, he's threatened to cull two of his Brahma girls because he hasn't been able to sell them but said I could have them for free! Naughty Graham! I've told him if he's still got them when I'm passing by his place on the 20th he can give them to Emily for her birthday biggrin.gif I've no idea where I'll put them, I guess in with their sisters, as my Brahma girls are from the same family but are two weeks younger.

You are going to need a farm soon......:0

The babies are so lovely though.....I can see why you cant resist them....