UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A duckling ! awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, where's the pic where's the pic ? pinkie.gif

What are those teeny wee white ducks with the wee choochy chubby cheeks called ? right like them wub_anim.gif

Sorry, no pic because sadly little duckling had died by this morning. I think it hadn't absorbed all the nutrients from the egg and they are doomed to die in these circumstances. RIP little onelily.gif

A duckling ! awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, where's the pic where's the pic ? :pinkie:

What are those teeny wee white ducks with the wee choochy chubby cheeks called ? right like them :wub_anim:

The ones which look like bath ducks? White call ducks :wub:

Buggeration ! got Flump in the cat carrier, had the temp coop set up, with Moomin in it, ready for the replacement, drove to the breeders........and he wasn't there !!!!!, his wife got him on the phone and he'd completly forgotten I was coming :glare: , so I've left Flump there, no point in taking him home to bring him back again, and I'll phone Ian tomorrow to arrange another visit, just as well he's only half an hour away, but still bloody annoying.

Going back up tonight to make the selection, I was having second thoughts about getting another one at all, just all the palaver with quarantine, and I'll have to stick Moomin in there with the newbie for company, but poor Moomin looks a bit lonely, although the others don't bully her at all she pretty much keeps herself to herself.

This may not be a sensible suggestion but have you considered getting two new hens and allowing Moomin to stay where she is? She will settle down with the others given a bit of time and it would mean you could quarantine two new birds together, rather than putting Moomin back - and potentially risking her health?

:laugh: :laugh: i agree with katie bob, get 2 new ones, didn't you say you had seven hens?? that means it is an odd number and one will feel left out :biggrin: :laugh:

i am getting excited now to see what you are going to get and what mental name you will come up with this time :laugh:

This may not be a sensible suggestion but have you considered getting two new hens and allowing Moomin to stay where she is? She will settle down with the others given a bit of time and it would mean you could quarantine two new birds together, rather than putting Moomin back - and potentially risking her health?

It did cross my mind I must admit, but the coop only holds eight birds, and I don't really want to go up to the max, plus I was thinking, if one of them croaks (which will surely happen ) then I could get in another two if I had too, suppose it's six of one half dozen of the other situation :wacko: tbh though I don't think it will take much for Moomin to bond to another hen, she's a bit Moomin nae mates at the moment, she just stayed with Flump the whole time, and I'm hoping that since the new bird will be coming from the same breeder there won't be a problem with disease.

Haven't a clue what this one will be called Kelly, I suspect I'll be having a bit of a "name the chook" post

Well, I'm back and I have a ...............drum roll............Dorking !

nooburd004.jpg

nooburd003.jpg

who has no name.............suggestions ?

I'd settled on either a Dorking or an Orp, deciding factor was that he was more sure of the sex of the Dorkings than the Orp's, I sure as hell wasn't going through all that palaver again so soon. Can't believe how "not arsed" she is, put her in the coop and 2 seconds later she was out in the pen having a look round and sampling the grub, she's a bit worried by the dogs, but really not that stressed at all, poor Moomin's getting her butt kicked a bit, but hopefully they will be chums soon enough.