UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Yup, see what you think

flump005.jpg

flump003.jpg

head010.jpg

head012.jpg

Looks to me as if the feathers over the saddle are looking very blokish, and the hackle feathers too, wattles are getting bigger by the day.

It's such a shame, they were both waiting at the back door with the others tonight :(

Don't seem to be able to get the pics bigger, hope you can see them alright :unsure:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does your garden look so green and your feeder so clean, my four reprobates scratch up everywhere and get mud and pooh on everything.

:laugh: Cos I'm anal about poo picking :biggrin: and I'd just washed the feeder last night, they're out free ranging all day and only in the pen in the pic for about three hours in the morning, so it's not under a lot of strain.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I think there's still hope. While I'll agree the saddle feathers look suspicious, the stance isn't, nor are the legs or the face which isn't that red. I often wondered about Poppys gender because she just seemed massive, had a longish neck and her neck feathers were very concerning but she was just going through a phase. She's now very womanly with a very ample bossom :laugh:

Ooooo, really ! I was getting myself all geared up to take she/he back, I think I'll get in touch with Ian the breeder, send him the pics and see what he thinks, I'm not entirely sure how old she is either, I think 16 weeks but not 100%,

Spoke to Flumps breeder this afternoon and have decided to keep him/ her for now, there's enough doubt there to wait and see, good news though, if Flump does go back, he won't get necked :biggrin: Ian said he's got a good demand for Dotte cockerels, so he'll get a new home.

Today is our first anniversary of chicken keeping. We were going to celebrate the day but haven't felt like celebrating after loosing Alex. We've come a long way in a year.

My new coop arrived tonight. I've got to spend tomorrow creosoting it and building it. The ex-batts, Brahma girls and the other growers are going to move into it. The Independence Day chicks can then move into the ex-batts coop & run and Tiger Lily is off to the maternity ward (growers coop!) where she's going to wait patiently for the arrival of Silver Laced Poland babies and a few Blue Buff Columbian Brahma bantam babies courtesy of Luci at The Birdhaus :biggrin: She's been broody since yesterday so I've arranged to go to collect the eggs on Tuesday. I swore I wasn't hatching more this year but as it's easier with a broody and the chicks will be ok outside it'd be a shame to waste Tiger Lilys talents :wub: Olive will then get to have a friend or two her own size :wub:

Congratulations Cheryl on your first anniversaryflowers.gif

I just had a minor heart attack. Marti - YOUR handrear foster kitten (Cheryl - he's only mine when he's perfect laugh.gif ) just brought in a huge (dead) bird. I thought it was one of the Orp x chicks which I'd either missed when getting them all in (unlikely cos they cheep like mad if they're away from their 'mother', Whoopi) or that it was one of our Poland bantams. So Sue and I have literally just got back from checking the chicken coop and we haven't got anything missing. Re-checked dead bird and it looks like he has caught a moorhen. Poor little moorhen. Marti has been chastised but I know he'll do it again because he's that age, little horror. I really find it difficult to be fond of cats at his age because of their destructive natures rolleyes.gif He will get better, I know!

I is knackered. I spent all day yesterday creosoting and building the new coop. Today I've been even busier. I've moved the growers out of their coop and run, shifted it down the garden so it's now nearer the house. I cleaned it out and now Tiger Lily is in it sat on her collection of eggs. She was a bit unsettled at first but soon sat back with her eggs.

Then the girls helped me to move the new supermassive coop into position. I then cleaned out the ex-batts coop and moved the Independence Day chicks into it. Very scary having them off heat for the first time but they're getting in for six weeks and are fully feathered. Then cleaned out their brooder in the garage and put the other baby chicks in it so now I have no chicks in the house :biggrin: Then I cleaned the other supermassive coop and collapsed into an exhausted heap :rolleyes:

Now I'm about to go outside to supervise bedtime. There are going to be a lot of confused chooks :rolleyes: The ex-batts, Brahmas and growers are all going to have to move into the new coop wether they like it or not! Except for little Olive who decided she liked the look of the Independence Day chicks and she's now living in the old ex-batts coop & run with them. They're bigger than her! She does love free ranging but I worry about her so much. Now I know she's safe if I go out and I would've worried too about her sleeping in the new coop. Bless her little socks :wub:

Tomorrow I'll go and pick up her new friends-to-be-hopefully, they'd better hatch!

It is much easier though introducing large numbers to a large flock, they don't know who to fight with first so generally don't bother apart from the odd peck. And because the older girls see so many young'uns coming and going they're so used to it and it doesn't really bother them as long as they learn how to respect their elders. They're brilliant at teaching manners. After less than two weeks free ranging the evil Orps & Dorkings are much nicer people. Boris the black Orp now loves company and he just plonks himself down infront of the kids begging to be picked up and carried.

Anyway, everyone survived the night in their new homes. We did have a minor mishap when an Araucana fell down between the roosting bars and got stuck so I had to rescue her. They're both going to a new home together to a farm in Hampshire tomorrow :biggrin:

ooo chicken people! can any of you save chickens in norfolk, tomorrow, 50p each. pm me if you can please xxxx

Sorry Jazz, I'm way up in Scotland so not much use, why were they for sale so cheap ? (no pun intended)

That big bugger Kelly went for Spud today ! she was in a strop as I'd booted her out of the coop as she's going broody, poor Spuddy just happened to walk past her and the big sod flew for him ! poor boy got the fright of his life and needed to sit on mummy's knee to get over the shock.....isn't there a bit in the SBT breed description about them being brave :rolleyes:

Flump update.....still walking like a girl.

Edited by celeste