UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Georgia has already asked 427 times if the eggs are hatching yet :biglaugh: She loves having chicks and she understands now that they come out of the incubated eggs but she doesn't understand that it takes 21 days :rolleyes: :laugh: Every day is going to be a constant source of disappointment to her until it happens :laugh:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eldest Little Brother and I are now joint chicken keepers (I paid for them, he's raising them). :laugh: We have 13 chicks (a mix of Marans, Welsomers, Rhode Island Reds and Light Sussex) hatched last Thursday. When they're grown they'll have a 12' x 8' shed with a 22' long run and 1.5 acres of garden for supervised roaming. And I'll have eggs and free range chicken for dinner. :)

He's also got a pair of 3 week old goslings. They're super cute right now but I'm sure it won't be long before they're refusing to let anyone out the back like the last lot did :laugh:

I only have the quick pictures I took before he brought them home to the heatlamp. I'll go visit tomorrow to get better pictures of them and the goslings.

3502075508_373c609651_m.jpg 3502074784_19a232628b_m.jpg 3501260667_0b9c5765c6_m.jpg

3501260085_50d5d80c0c_m.jpg 3502073438_ac62a77e57_m.jpg 3502072922_f619c5bbe7_m.jpg

I think the last one is a different breed to the others - he/she has feathers on its legs and none of the others have that. A surprise chicken :)

I've just checked the nest boxes and found a dinosaur egg!

DSC03702.jpg

It beats Pancakes 102g effort, this one weighs in at 109g and it belongs to Juliet :biggrin: Lard Arse is good for something other than stuffing her face at last :laugh:

Wow that is massive

I've just checked the nest boxes and found a dinosaur egg!

DSC03702.jpg

It beats Pancakes 102g effort, this one weighs in at 109g and it belongs to Juliet :biggrin: Lard Arse is good for something other than stuffing her face at last :laugh:

Poor things giblets will be dragging along the floor after that monster :wacko:

Lovely wee chicks Uke, wonder what the hairy legged one will be :unsure:

How long is it until your chickens come?

My chickens had run me ragged by 8.15am this morning. This is a new record for them :laugh: First of all when I got up just after 7am and went downstairs I looked out the kitchen window to see Egeltine running up and down near the fence! :ohmy: She should've been in her coop with the other chicks! :ohmy: At the moment they don't go to bed until 8.45pm and as I'm at work at that time some nights Ian usually locks everyone up but last night he was busy on the driveway helping his uncle fix my car so when I got home I went out to lock everyone in. I looked into the chicks coop and everyone was asleep in the corner, they don't use the perch they just all bundle on top of one another so head counts are difficult but I had no reason to think they weren't all there! Egeltine must've roosted in one of the bushes :ohmy: Bless her socks, she was very worried when I went out this morning, she didn't know where everyone had gone and she was so pleased when I put her in her run and released the others from the coop :wub:

Went back inside, made breakfast for the herd, got some of them dressed then went to the kitchen, looked out and saw 9 out of 10 of the big birds over eating my new grass :mad: They'd managed to un-hook the end of the netting and they were scratching and munching with gay abandon :mad: I enticed most of them back with some apple but still had to chase Maisie, Primrose and fat Juliet :mad:

I want a quiet day from now on with no chicken related dramas!

How long is it until your chickens come?

Ooooooo, spooky, your middle names not Madam Zora is it ? :laugh:

I'll be getting them on Saturday :partytime: I phoned the chook chappie this morning to see when I could pick up the hens and said as soon as I liked, unfortunately I won't be getting the blue and black Orp's :mecry: they all died in the shell, they did have buffs and whites but they are only 6 weeks old, to teeny to go into the run with the big un's, and I ain't forking out for another coop (just yet :rolleyes: ) for the sake of two chooks, so instead I will be getting 2 Marans, along with the original Sussex mixture. So today I've been charging about getting stuff I thought I still had a couple of weeks to get, I got Aquamax and couldn't resist putting it in the coop, it takes more water than you'd think to go soft and I've been backwards and forwards all afternoon getting it just right :wacko: now I'm on the hunt for cardboard boxes, which seem to be like gold dust round here, I think I'm getting some from a friend tomorrow.......I hope.

Crikey Egeltines had a real adventure, she'll be telling the other about it all night :laugh: lucky girl too not to have been chomped by a fox.