UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rough Couple Of Days...

LisaLQ

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much folks, we got home late morning/lunchtime, but I scoffed something and went straight to bed :lol:

Joe's finger was fine - no problems, we'll see how well it's taken on Monday when he has it cleaned and the dressing changed. It's so wrapped up we cant see anything but a mm or two of skin through the hole in the end - but I can see it's pink which is a very very good sign! They're not expecting any issues.

He had a rough time in surgery, hence us taking so long to get home (he had to stay the night on a nebuliser and IV antibiotics as he "aspirated" - threw up and breathed it in - during the op, the anaesthetist said it was very touch and go for a few minutes). They were expecting some lung damage from the acid in his stomach contents (which incidentally wouldn't have been there if his digestive system hadn't shut down due to stress), but his chest x-ray was ok - I have to keep a close eye on him as they obviously stopped IV antibiotics for him to come home, and the oral ones he's come home with are specifically for his finger rather than his chest, so he could relapse - but at the moment he is perfectly fine, completely normal, no coughing or anything - no complaining either, he's been so good. The only noise he made was when we woke him through the night for his nebuliser, and that wasn't because of the actual treatment, just how rude of us to wake him! *lol* They had to make sure his temperature and heart rate came down and his saturation levels went up before he could come back, a good night's sleep (well nearly lol) fixed that so we came home late this morning.

Sky however is not going to recover. Her lipase levels came back at 480-something, when according to the vet "normal" raised levels should be under 200. The fact that her liver is proven to be failing suggests, as it's the nearest organ (apparently), that the enzymes have already begun to digest her other organs. Lipase levels tend to rise very slowly (again just going on what I've been told), so by the time you have even a small amount in your system, it's generally very serious. For her to have over double the normal upper limits of "raised" would suggest she is in the severe end stages, and in a lot of pain (and like Joe, soldiering on without complaint). On top of this her thyroid is showing signs of an issue there, and the vet believes all this together could even be signs of a tumour. He has said to come back from one of these illnesses is very tough, but three at the same time (and possibly more issues as we're still waiting some blood results) is going to be virtually impossible. He said the pancreatitis alone is something most dogs would not survive this far along. So we have her on the low fat prescription diet til Monday (starting tonight as she's had to be starved for a while), she's on pain meds and also her usual previcox/vivitonin still. Coming home from hospital was very hard for me today as I can see how much she's deteriorated though, so we're going to spend the weekend saying out goodbyes and letting her know how much we love her.

Hmm. Emotional time. One saved, one not. Anyhoo - I would like to say (well, we would like to say) a big thank you to everyone from various sites who's posted, pmed, phoned, texted, emailed and sent messages via Kathy also - it's all been lovely of you guys :liebe94: :mecry:

I'm just catching up with things and have read through things. What a tough time you've been having :GroupHug:

I'm pleased Joe is just getting on with things - what a little soldier!

Poor Sky, sounds like she's also just getting on with things. Children and animals can deal with these things much better than we can. Sometimes being a grown up isn't much fun at all :(

Will be thinking of you all :flowers:

Thank you everyone.

Blu is acting a bit bewildered, he's definitely not his normal noisy self today but it's to be expected. They had a love/hate relationship (eg. he loved her, she hated him!), she was his rock (he's not happy when left alone - not destructive or noisy just a little stressed), and he taught her that not all dogs would take her bossy cr*p.

I'm feeling like I'm missing part of me, Mick's silent...the kids were so incredibly upset. I dont care what anyone says - there's nothing peaceful about letting your dog go - it's like being torn to shreds, put back together, then repeatedly torn apart again. People keep saying "you've done the right thing", but it doesn't feel "right" - it feels so incredibly wrong.

Who's going to give me pokey elbow cuddles on the sofa, attempt to nick my tea, or give me dog kisses, or who am I going to complain about old age with now? Who's going to get in my way and under my feet and on my nerves?

Sorry - got a bit soppy there...