UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bbc Could Drop Crufts Over Unhealthy Breeds

merledogs

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in tears watching the cavs with the brain defects - I can't even begin to imagine the pain that condition must cause :mecry:

Then that hideous blonde woman who was shown as breeding from her cav with the disease 26 times after he'd been diagnosed - beggars belief :mecry: How on earth can this people profess to have the welfare of the breed at heart :(

It seems that your best chance of have a healthy dog who will possibly live to a good age is to get a mongrel - now that news isn't it?

The problem promoting that tho is as others have pointed out - it increases the desireability of the designer breeds and back street/puppy farm bred dogs - moreover I'm not 100% sure it's strictly true I lost my lurcher to oesteosarcoma which undoubtedly came through the greyhound side of his breeding.

I too watched this program tonight and am absolutly shocked and horrified over what I seen :mecry: :mecry: I mean ofcourse I already knew mongrowls are much healthier then 'full (in)breeds' , but to see the actuall figures is just absolutly gobsmacking , and then to think they spoke most of damage in money wise and the breed in general, imagine all the poor dogs who suffer/ed and the ones not even allowed to live because of having the wrong colour? not to metion all that heartpain soooooo many families ( inc children) have/had to go through

I totally agree that if the KC would use that stick,people would have no other choice , KC is the biggest breed club/organasation and recognized world wide,sure they'll wanna keep up this rep?

I couldnt help but laugh at the stoopid moo who referred to the bestest Ridgebacks in Africa who caught leopards also have a ridge on their back and was then very silly asked 'and how many leopards are there in Britain?' that was brilliant and shut her gob

the Cavs just made cry,specially the one who was screaming in pain, they are just the sweetest softest lovelable pets there are and what do people do in return? ...

I also will not be visiting Cruffts anymore until they get their stick out !!!

The problem promoting that tho is as others have pointed out - it increases the desireability of the designer breeds and back street/puppy farm bred dogs - moreover I'm not 100% sure it's strictly true I lost my lurcher to oesteosarcoma which undoubtedly came through the greyhound side of his breeding.

My definition of a mongrel is a dog where there is not really a disernable breed in it - just a complete mix of everything - just like human beings really.

The point that really said it all for me was that regarding the fact that some dogs tested were found to only have 10% of the genes the breed had 50 years ago and that would make it more endangered that the giant Panda was shocking.

That feckin Ridgeback woman :axehead:

Dear god, what a dreadful woman.

I knew they did that but had hoped they'd stopped, although admitting it for national TV confirms not :mecry:

Amazed at the KC's letter to the ridgeback breed people about the breed standard including culling pups without a ridge - when as the club pointed out, the breed standard had been ratified (think that was the right word) by the KC :rolleyes:

They mentioned white boxers too - I met a man a few years ago who had bred boxers when he was younger. He told me how he had drowned the white puppies. I was so angry I had a massive go at him in the pub, told him I was disgusted and walked away. He tried to reason with me, but no one will reason with me that killing puppies because of their colour or anything cosmetic, is acceptable.

Well done to the two women campaigning in the cavalier breed.

I'm sure the programme found some of the worst examples of both breeders and breeding to make its point - it didn't feature "average" breeds that are still essentially fit for purpose. However it was shocking, even though it wasn't altogether surprising :(

I thought linking the KC with Hitler and eugenics in the programme was OTT. I'm not saying breeding practices aren't based on eugenics but alikening the practices to that of the nazi regime takes emphasis away from the argument and doesn't do the overall message any good as it gives the KC something to focus on and be dismissive of.

Yes, i think you're right there.

I felt sick watching the programme. I feel as though I have contributed to the health problems of pedigree dogs because I have one (he is a rescue lab). I felt so sorry for the poor cavs. I am so glad the woman (cant remember her name) has such strong principals and is fighting such a great campaign for cavs, and well done to the breeder who listened to her.

Why would having adopted a lab from rescue make you feel you've contributed to the breed's health problems?

It was horrid to watch but it made for very interesting viewing and it was on at a good time on a prominent TV channel, not hidden away late at night, so I am hopeful a few people might have woken up.

My definition of a mongrel is a dog where there is not really a disernable breed in it - just a complete mix of everything - just like human beings really.

Yep, that's what I would consider a mongrel too, a Heinz 57 type, rather than a crossbreed where you can see obvious breeds. I always feel the Heinz 57 type is generally healthy/long-lived but have no stats to back that up!

The poor boxer having fits made me :mecry: :mecry:

It really is a case of buyer be aware.

People like the woman with the cav etc do need stopping and stoping now!

But its time Joe Public was made aware that if they really do want a pedigree dog to do their research. The internet is such a good source of information. You can find out about the genetic faults in any breed, you can also find out which conditions can be tested for, its only Joe Public demanding that high price pedigree dogs have undergone these test and SEE the results before they buy will change it. We all know about hip dysplasia, and which breeds it affects and we all know that hip scored dogs are less likely to throw out pups that will have problems but I bet all of us know someone that has bought a rottie or gsd or lab and have no idea whether the parents were tested or not!

the kc statement kindaseems like a get out clause..they sound worried all their members will bu**er off becuase they took part in the doco. it's right the KC should get involved, since only they can affect what breeders do but equally vets who care for these stud dogs/breeding bitches should do something too.KC never enforce things tho, imean how many docked dogs still show becuase they apparently "work"..a show ring is not work..at least not work that needs a tail hacking off for safety..Kc are wussy money grabbing basta**s, and the problem as it is now is entirley their making..the gsd breed standards are alarming,i love sheps but a back that slopes that much cannot be right, yet still they win like that.that pekinese..having to sit on an icepack for gods sake...i hope something gets done..but i doubt it somehow

My big fear, as stated earlier, is that breeders of crossbreeds will have a good time selling puppies now.

They already are. K9Fran and I visited a place selling puppies last year (not to buy of course, more of a reconnaisance mission) and there were almost as many crossbreeds as there were pedigrees. None of the pedigrees were KC registered and the woman who ran the place said these puppies were bred specifically for her to sell :rolleyes: Anyway, the crossbreeds were all small breed crosses, mainly terriers but they were the strangest combinations and we honestly couldn't see the point in them. From what I can gather she's closed down now but I doubt very much if she was alone in what she was doing and I suspect there are crossbreeds in puppy supermarkets all over the country.

Dear god, what a dreadful woman.

I knew they did that but had hoped they'd stopped, although admitting it for national TV confirms not :mecry:

Amazed at the KC's letter to the ridgeback breed people about the breed standard including culling pups without a ridge - when as the club pointed out, the breed standard had been ratified (think that was the right word) by the KC :rolleyes:

They mentioned white boxers too - I met a man a few years ago who had bred boxers when he was younger. He told me how he had drowned the white puppies. I was so angry I had a massive go at him in the pub, told him I was disgusted and walked away. He tried to reason with me, but no one will reason with me that killing puppies because of their colour or anything cosmetic, is acceptable.

Well done to the two women campaigning in the cavalier breed.

I'm sure the programme found some of the worst examples of both breeders and breeding to make its point - it didn't feature "average" breeds that are still essentially fit for purpose. However it was shocking, even though it wasn't altogether surprising :(

Yes, i think you're right there.

Why would having adopted a lab from rescue make you feel you've contributed to the breed's health problems?

It was horrid to watch but it made for very interesting viewing and it was on at a good time on a prominent TV channel, not hidden away late at night, so I am hopeful a few people might have woken up.

Yep, that's what I would consider a mongrel too, a Heinz 57 type, rather than a crossbreed where you can see obvious breeds. I always feel the Heinz 57 type is generally healthy/long-lived but have no stats to back that up!

The poor boxer having fits made me :mecry: :mecry:

My point about the labs is that by loving this breed I am contributing to the breeding of the lab and thereby causing labs to have health problems. This may not seem logical! I know I was not the person who bought the "andrex puppy", but I feel implicated.

LazyDaisy , I had the same feeling looking at my little Paps :( they too suffer from the fact that their lickle skull is too small to hold their parts in the right places (if this makes sence) and I just cant get that pciture of that screaming Cav out of my head either :( :mecry:

MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!! :banghead:

I intend to email the KC when I get the chance, but soon, to say what I thought of this programme and how I feel they could improve things and take more responsiblity for the pedigree dogs being bred/shown in the UK.

I wonder if everyone that was horrified by the programme were to contact them, if they might actually do something. It's worth a try isn't it?