UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Unusual Foods Your Dogs Like

elricc

I cook my own food for our dogs and have a big allotment so we all have quite a varied diet, I was cooking some chicken stew for the dogs and had run out of stock, I put the parsley in and wondered what else I could add, as they like strong tasting foods. I found some pesto in the fridge so added it to the stew, stripped chickens, squashed veg added mixer and this did not touch the sides of any bowls, they hoovered it down.

Next day I added a tablespoon to their heart agian hoovered down, usually they like to eat all the meat and veg and then go back for the mixer or complete, which had been mixed in, later.

Today mackerel and pesto with pumpkin, didn't touch the sides.

So I think I have to find an industrial supplier of pesto.

Anybody elses dogs like strange foods

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sophie adores banana bread.

She is very wary about food - won't take anything 'new' unless she's seen the boys eat it without getting in trouble, and can get very stressed if you give her something she wants to eat but thinks she isn't allowed. She has never asked for food that any of us have been eating. Until, that is, my sister brought some banana bread home. Sophie was glued to her side, and wolfing down any bits that she was given. I now make it for Sophie when I want to give her a special treat. She looks at bananas in disgust, but for some reason banana bread disappears in seconds.

Labs eat anything :) even rabbit food if they get the chance. I wouldn't mind betting that they'd love pesto and if I remember I'll put it to the test later!

The one and only thing they won't snatch is raw mushrooms.

Edited to add that they don't scrounge for our food when we are eating though, but anything in their bowl or on the kitchen floor will vanish in seconds.

Edited by Karen

Jody, one of my childhood dogs loved oranges and would watch you eating one, drooling uncontrollably until you gave her a piece :laugh: :wub:

Bella, now at the Bridge, loved satsumas. We all used to say that if anyone wanted a satsuma they had to take two - one for them and one for Bella.

Bella, now at the Bridge, loved satsumas. We all used to say that if anyone wanted a satsuma they had to take two - one for them and one for Bella.

Precious adores satsumas and apples,mind you I have not found anything she will not eat :laugh:

We try to feed our a whole variety and the seem to like all veg (Lloyd will pick his out and eat it before the rest of his meal)and we are working through fruit too, never tried them with pesto, but as they eat cheese, olive oil & basil I don't think we'd have too many problems.

Laura it's not hard to make your own

Oh how I wish my boys would eat fruit and vegetables as readily as some of the dogs here :rolleyes: I have to mash or liquidise fruit and veg before they will eat it mixed in with their meals, which I make from scratch. If there are any lumps of veg they spit them out in disgust.

Archie's most favourite food is a blueberry muffin. He doesn't get one very often but it's his birthday next week so he will be having one then :biggrin: We also discovered he loves trifle as he stole a dish of it from the table once when our backs were turned.

Marion

Ella loves red pepper, that's her favourite. She'll eat other coloured peppers but red is her favourite, probably because they're sweeter.

Laura try making your own pesto, tis dead easy. Olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and basil. Whizz it all up with a blender and it'll keep in a jar in the fridge for a while.