UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

An Old Boy Works His Miracle

buddyboy

Toastie was dumped in October 2006, and Dogs Trust guessed his age as "at least 10, probably a few years older", so he is now "at least 11, probably a few years older". He qualified as a Pets As Therapy dog when he had been with me 6 months, and has happily been visiting places for nearly a year now. A few weeks ago we received a request for "a small dog to help a dog phobic boy overcome his fear"..... so guess who was nominated.

We have so far had 3 sessions with the little boy - on the first one he was brave enough at the end to stroke Toastie under cover of him mum's hand. At the end of the second one he walked Toastie up the corridor. This week the therapist wanted him to play with Toastie so I explained that would involve a lot of barking as he gets excited playing with toys. At the first bark the little boy started crying, so we stopped straight away, but then after a bit he managed to stroke Toastie again, then walk him around the grass, and then I was allowed to throw the toy for Toastie as long as he was on the long lead. Then the little boy amazed everyone by saying he wanted to throw the toy. Bear in mind that at the start of the session he was terrifed at the yapping, but by the end of it he was happily throwing the toy which caused lots more of it.

So "eat your hearts out" to the rotten people who dumped an old, deaf boy on the roadside 19 months ago - this little dog is not only enjoying life to the full but is also helping a young human overcome his fear of dogs!