UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lady Cannot Afford Dental For Beloved Dog

doggielover

You'd think they would but they don't. I had a pup in some years ago that was left at the vet by travellers, it was really sick but the vet wouldn't treat until someone would agree to pay. In the end the Vet nurse paid so that that pup could go on a drip and start it's treatment.

Will pass on your excellent suggestions when I speak to her tomorrow.

I knew I could count on the Fugees to come up with some ideas. Will let you know what happens.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the vet have some sort of duty - if not a legal one, then surely a moral one. I know they probably get scammed sometimes but if the lady is a longstanding customer, it's just daft :(

I don't think they do really have a moral obligation - there are, sadly, plenty of people out there who would take advantage of a business offering credit in this way, and if they were offering extended payment, they would presumably be funding it out of the bills paid by other users of the vet practice, which seems a little unfair. I mean, yes, it would be nice if they did, but you can't really blame them for choosing not to.

I would be a bit wary of getting involved with this one, myself personally. If the owner really cannot afford a £250 bill for something that is not that unusual, such as a dental, and cannot get credit, cannot get a loan, has no insurance, no savings, nothing worth £250 that they can sell - then OK, they might be able to scrape together help with this one, but what happens if the dog gets injured next week? Sad though it is, it might actually be better for the animal to move to a home which can afford at least a basic vet care fund.

I am aware that sometimes live throws you crap you cannot handle and you can't always plan to have reserves, nice though that would be, but it does sound like this animal has already been waiting a while for the help that it needs, and bad teeth hurt. :(

Edited by cycas

My vet used to offer credit to those who needed it, but it was a proper credit agreement that they signed. I don't know if interest was involved.

People used to come into the surgery and pay money towards their bill. I don't know if it was a set amount or what they could afford.

The surgery was in a less well off area( and he was a lovely vet).

I did, one day, hear the vet nurse telling somebody that the vet could not give any more treatment to their cat as they had not paid their last bill.

Later, there was the standard notice up in the waiting room, that all bills must be paid on collection of the animal, so I don't know if he still does it.

While it is a very sorry situation, I agree that I did think, what if the dog needed other treatment.

Do we know that she is a long standing customer?

. She has apparently advertised it two or three times and then pulled the ad because she doesn't really want to give her up.

She is very torn between wanting to keep her friend and doing the best for the dog's health. Would be nice to try and help her find a solution.

di

Is this the cavalier? I wrote to this woman a couple of weeks ago, suggesting various possibilities. She didn't get back to me, but posted on the website that she had decided to keep the dog and "save up" for the treatment. I must admit, I began to wonder if all was as it seemed, but if you're talking to her, does that mean you'll be meeting her? Poor dog. :(

Yes it is the Cav. I'm aware that it may be a case that all is not as it seems and the dog may be better off being rehomed, but one step at a time. She has offered to meet me and to let me talk to her vet about what treatment the dog needs. So I get the impression she genuinely cares but is torn abou the best thing to do.

The least I can do is give her options at this stage and then move her down the route of rehoming if it's best.

There are a few ways you could look at this by the sound of things, dog would be better off elsehwere, she's trying to scam you, she's genuine & in need of help

My guess is that if this lady has approached someone before, backed off to "save up" and is now back asking someone else then

A) She desperately wants to help her little friend but is struggling to do so financially

B) She backed off because she doesn't want to be face losing her little dog but hasn't yet seen any other way.

I agree it's lovely that you're trying to help them & hope you will find a way of ensuring that the dog gets treatment and they can stay together.

True something else could happen tommorrow - she could win the lottery or it could be something worse but then anything can happen to anyone. Supposing somebody here gets hit by a bus tomorrow & their dog is left alone............ do we all rehome our dogs just in case?

I would however think if things are this bad she may be on benefits & eligible for PDSA help?

Edited by Ian

Not on benefits so PDSA/RSPCA no help and Vet won't allow them to pay monthly.

I would however think if things are this bad she may be on benefits & eligible for PDSA help?

As you'll see, Ian, they aren't on benefits, apparently. I suggested the PDSA when she posted on the website, assuming she was.

Liz

If you're going to quote me I do wish people would either do it in full or make sure that they understand what has been said and do it in context.

If read / quoted properly my quote actually suggests that whilst some appear to look at her dubiously it's my guess that she's anything but trying to scam anyone. You've said she's pulled her ad several times. As I've said, that suggests to me that she desperately wants / needs help for her little dog not really to rehome at all - she's possibly just doing in desperation that because she thinks it's the only way her dog will get any help.

As you'll see, Ian, they aren't on benefits, apparently. I suggested the PDSA when she posted on the website, assuming she was.

Liz

Sorry, must have read that bit yesterday but had forgotten I'm afraid. I'm surprised they aren't eligible to claim benefits or get PDSA help given the apparent lack of money & assets but I still think Tailwaggers Trust would be worth a try & may well help her keep her little dog :)

If this lady is not on benefits, could it be that she might actaully be entitled to claim benefits if she is on a low income or an OAP or suffering from a disbility. (i.e whatever the reason) It might be worth her contacting her local Welfare Rights service, to get a benefits check. (They can work out what she might be entitled to).