UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What I've Just Been Reading

Spins4me

Had to start a new topic because I couldn't post on the old "what are you reading at the moment" one.

I've just read two books :biggrin: :biggrin: a big achievement as I've found it difficult to read since I've had depression. I used to read at least a couple of books at a time but it's been ages since I've managed to start a book never mind finish one.

When I posted about this earlier in this thread two very kind Fugees sent me books to try. So a big thank you to JulesB and Alison who between them have got me reading again.

It was James Herriott's Dog Stories that got me started and then I moved on to "Red Dog" by Louis de Bernieres. The Dog Stories were a lovely easy read and I found that I couldn't put it down. I found "Red Dog" more difficult even though each chapter is a short story in itself. It's the story of Red whose statue stands outside the town of Dampier in Western Australia. This was the area where Red lived and travelled throughout his life. Having lost his owner in an accident he became "everyone's dog" fed and cared for by people in the community.

It's a lovely little book, full of humour until the end. I really like the tiny cartoon dog on the corner of each page which become animated when the pages are flicked.

I'm now reading "Close Range" by Annie Proulx - short stories anout the American west.

So many thanks to Alison and JulesB - I really appreciate what you have done for me. :flowers:

Barbara

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Red Dog book, it is a nice wee read.

I've just about finished Ali Smiths book Girl Meets Boy, bit of a departure for me,but my friend gave me a loan of it, quite enjoyed it but I think I'll stick to my heroic fantasy books.

I get a doen or so books each week from trolls of charity shops for my Mum- a prolific reader - and one book was Alan Titchmarsh 'The Last Lighthouse Keeper'. Tis easy reading and I am enjoying it. It's one of those books that you can put down and leave for some time.

I have dug out my copy of 'Raid on Entebbe' as I think I might need to brush up on some stuff shortly. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to read Middlemarch and finding it very tedious. I think I've got over the worst and am hoping to finish it off quickly. There are 800 odd pages and I'm on about page 342. I've done nothing but moan about it and Martyn keeps telling me to just throw it in the bin but once I start a book I have to finish it. Whether I like it or not. :unsure:

I'm delighted you enjoyed those books Barbara :flowers: I couldn't put the James Herriot Dog Stories one down either!

I think in the other reading thread it was Sanrosscot who mentioned the Lillian Beckwith books and managed to get hold of some on Amazon. I can thoroughly recommend them as an engaging easy read too so it might be worth PMing her to see if she might lend you one or two.

If anyone else would like to borrow either Red Dog or Dog Stories, please let me know. I can tell Spins4me and perhaps she could post them straight to you instead of back to me.

I have been reading a vast amount recently ( local charity shop has a never ending supply ) I have just finished some Lisa Jewell's books and they are rather good for chick lit and have strong stories

I have been saving up some of my charity shop books to take with me to Sri Lanka

Death in Holy Orders - PD James

The Oyster House Siege - Jay Rayner

A Short History of Tractors in UKRAINIAN - Marina Lewycka

Some Other Rainbow- John McCarthy & Jill Morrell

Same I think I have a load of PD James or else it's Peter James books if you are interested.

I've five boxes of books to sort this weekend, so will confirm then.

Can you tell I'm in for an exciting weekend :laugh:

sorting out books is very exciting :jumpy: , I shall wait with baited breath to hear what you find :laugh: