UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Charlie, French Bulldog

EGAR

Charlie is 3 years old, neutered and vaccinated French Bulldog. He was bought from a breeder in the UK by a family in Dublin (he was not a small pup when they got him, they only had him about 2 or 3 months). They didn’t really know what they got and from what I understand, did never own a bull breed before.

Charlie might be small but his personality is as big as a Grizzly Bear’s. I am not exactly sure what happened at this place in Dublin but he allegedly bit someone in the family. He then went on to a different family here in Co. Galway where he bit the 16 year old son. They took him to a ‘dog trainer’ who used a choke chain on him and told them to have him neutered because of his ‘aggression’…. They decided against keeping him because they were afraid of him and decided to put him down. But a friend of theirs is an acquaintance of me and she phoned me.

She had Charlie for about 5 days and he then came to me. He still had the stitches from the neutering in and also has a severe ear infection in his right ear. He was also still wearing the choke chain when I picked him up… So I was the fourth home for him in just as many weeks.

I went to pick him up and was surprised to see how easily he took to me. He fell asleep in my car as soon as I turned the key. He did not pine or display any other anxiety and settled in as if he grew up here. He does not bother with the other dogs but I have not yet let him mix physically. However, when lose in the house he does not bother with the dogs in the crates or Tadhg whom he can smell and hear through the door. He did mark in the house twice but stopped doing it after I gave out to him.

He loves to play and, according to the last lady who had him, gets on well with cats. He has what appears to be a scar from a bite on his head but it is not very noticeable. However, as nice as Mister Charlie sounds, I have no doubt that he would bite if in the wrong hands. He ‘suffers’ from megalomania and needs to be kept in check. I have made it very clear to him that I am boss and I have had one run in with him over a toy. I had to roll him and I have to say he is very fast and means it! After that I can handle him 100% including checking of teeth, playing rough and putting drops in his ears – he also surrenders his toys to me when I ask.

He is very stubborn and does sit on command but I had to push it. I will not re-home him to a family with kids of any age. It is too risky as he might be a small dog but he has jaws like a piranha and very sharp teeth. He needs firm handling but will be a joy to have around if handled right. He needs breed specific care (eyes and ears). And a bit of juicy history: this breed was supposed to be THE favourite breed of French prostitutes in the 19 century “roflâ€.

Charlie has been here a long time as I needed to be absolutely sure that his *problem* is dominance related. He has never tried to bite me or my volunteers. Charlie needs a special home with no children, no other dogs and experienced handlers.

p708307.jpg

charlie6.jpg

p708309.jpg

Edited by EGAR

Oh Charlie you are beautiful :wub: I fell for this breed a few years ago at Blackpool champ show. After talking to loads of people there he sounds typical of the male of this breed, whats the saying? small dog big balls (yes I know they have gone now lol)

Good Luck beautiful boy, your new home is out there, they just havent found you yet :wub:

I've been thinking about getting a Frenchie for months now, but not many come up in rescue (I have registered with breed rescue etc) and all the reputable breeders have up to 5 year waiting lists.

I don't have a dog living with me, no kids, however I do still exercise regularly my/ex partners dogs - although it would not be essential for them to be taken out together, that would be ideal.

If this little man is still looking for a home would you please let me know how he is with other dogs. I have experience of Dobermans, Boxer, Bullmastiff....

Thank you!

He is rather special in his needs and although I am aware that he will generate alot of interest being a rare breed etc, I will be extra strict with his re-homing. So please do not contact me if you have children and/or other dogs regardless of your circumstances otherwise. I will not consider anyone who does.

believe it or not, this is my 24 year old, 6 foot 1, sons dream dog, which considering he has grown up with staffies, boxers, akitas, collie and GSD's is imo weird :wacko:

he is a sensible lad though and knows that with his work and music ommitments, he doesnt have the right home to offer any dog right now, so Charlie cant be offered a home here on Gloucester.

Good luck to him though in finding his perfect home :wub: