UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Am Being Home Checked For Oldies...any Tips?

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I had a home check yesterday evening.

I second Kazz in saying just be yourself. It isn't a test, just purely an opportunity to meet you in your family home and to check that your family and home are suitable for adopting / fostering a dog.

A cup of tea & biscuit, I am sure will go down a treat :)

Am sure it will be fine.

x

Just be yourself,don't race around trying to make the house spotless - it won't be with a dog in it after all :wink: A wee tip,show the checker to the room you are most comfortable in - whether that's the lounge or seated at the kitchen table,if it helps you relax the better you will be able to answer their queries.

Oh and if you buy those biscuits don't do what I did and totally forget to offer them to the checker :rolleyes:

And good luck for tomorrow - and of course welcome to the Refuge :flowers:

I was homechecked and one of the things I did was to show on a map where I could take the dog for a walk in the vicinity. The homechecker didnt know the area, and it was dark when they came so they wouldnt have seen much of the local area on their journey to my house.

I actually went onto google maps and printed out a local map using the satellite option, so it showed all the local fields and footpaths. I then highlighted all the places where I could take the dog safely.

I tried to be myself (as much as you can with a stranger and a clipboard) and tried to think in advance where the dog would sleep, how I would manage introductions to my other dog. Training classes, my daily routine etc, how I would deal with any unwanted behaviour. I also had the details of my vet to hand and had a torch so I could show them my garden as well. I wanted to prove that I had thought about things and had prepared for the homecheck. I also had the kettle on and some biccies on offer!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you thank you thank you! Ooooh am really quite excited now! Will let you know how it goes! Will offer biccies and stop cleaning! Thanks for all the tips about where dog will sleep etc...and sitting somewhere where i am comfy!

cheers guys! xx

Hi Nikki

When I was home checked, they had a look in the garden to make sure it wsa secure and then we sat down for a chat about where she was going to sleep and how long she was going to be left whilst at work and just general tips on what we should do.

Let us know how you get on, I'm excited for you!

Clare x

I was homechecked and one of the things I did was to show on a map where I could take the dog for a walk in the vicinity. The homechecker didnt know the area, and it was dark when they came so they wouldnt have seen much of the local area on their journey to my house.

I actually went onto google maps and printed out a local map using the satellite option, so it showed all the local fields and footpaths. I then highlighted all the places where I could take the dog safely.

Off topic but that's exactly what I do when doing home checks - and I've found some super new areas to walk my dogs that I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise. :)