UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Ivf Be On The Nhs?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutly not. It is not an illness. Sorry but, I feel strongly about thing like this.

But what about things that are treated on the NHS but are self inflicted-like smoking related illnesses etc? Would you say to someone with lung cancer caused by smoking that they shouldn't have "free" treatment or make someone who broke a leg skiing pay for their treatment?

To me it's not about a persons right to have children [there are plenty who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce] but I couldn't say it's not an illness therefore shouldn't be allowed. If that was the way everyone thought then plenty of people wouldn't get treatment for other things

Absolutly not. It is not an illness. Sorry but, I feel strongly about thing like this.

My secondary infertility is from an illness/health issue, so do I deserve never to have the chance to have another baby?, give it love, life and security because an infection I had...not std :rolleyes: caused scarring on my tubes which led to investigations BUT isnt the main cause..I dont ovulate regular so we have been trying for 6 years which isnt an illness granted, but it is something I can not control so why should I be deprived of a chance of getting pregnant just because I cant afford it?? it IS a health issue, well for a lot of people.. I do think, which Im sure it is, it should be down to individual circumstances as to if you are able to have it on NHS or not....

I would much rather see the money that is spent on IVF treatment go into our failing hospitals, more money for nurses and doctors, better equipment, more beds, more pallative care.

I am sure the same could be said of other treatments funded by the NHS. It's not up to us to decide which is right and wrong.

I do sincerely hope that in the future, should you decide to have children, that you can conceive naturally. Otherwise you might find yourself in a situation where you have to depend upon the NHS to assist you.

There but for the grace of God.........

But what about things that are treated on the NHS but are self inflicted-like smoking related illnesses etc? Would you say to someone with lung cancer caused by smoking that they shouldn't have "free" treatment or make someone who broke a leg skiing pay for their treatment?

Not receiving IVF and so not having children will not kill you!

I think receiving IVF should be means tested so that those that can actually afford it pay. It should only be available if people have no other children and should be judged on a case by case basis.

No. We should be working on methods of population control, not investing in producing yet more people.

I appreciate that this is also an argument for failing to treat people who become ill. I personally feel that the dividing line is that people who are already alive should be helped as far as possible, but that actually paying for new people to be created is a step too far.

I'm aware that a falling or static population will have all sorts of very scary implications to those already born and getting older. However, I think it's a nut that must be cracked, and better sooner, while our ecosystem is still pretty much on its feet, than later.

I am sure the same could be said of other treatments funded by the NHS. It's not up to us to decide which is right and wrong.

I do sincerely hope that in the future, should you decide to have children, that you can conceive naturally. Otherwise you might find yourself in a situation where you have to depend upon the NHS to assist you.

There but for the grace of God.........

But, as this thread is about what our opinions are, it is exactly up to us to say what we think :unsure:

Not receiving IVF and so not having children will not kill you!

My friend was given breast implants on the NHS because she couldn't bear the state her breasts were in a few months after giving birth, not exactly life threatening either but quite easy to convince the surgeon that it was necessary.

Yes to IVF as far as I'm concerned, from what I've heard it's a harrowing process and not taken lightly by anyone entering into it.