UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Ivf Be On The Nhs?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be prepared to lay money on the fact that should Mrs/Ms Bloggs go to hospital A wanting IVF desperately only to later discover she is diagnosed with let's say leukaemia she would suddenly have an overwhelming desire to see funding be diverted from IVF treatment to cancer treatment.

Call me cynical if you wish and shoot me down in flames too but I am pretty sure it's the way the average human brain works.

This is very true and makes me hold my hands up, appologise and admit i am a hypocrite! Why?, because i have received funding from the NHS, which to all accounts and purpuses could have been spent elsewhere :flowers:

This is very true and makes me hold my hands up, appologise and admit i am a hypocrite! Why?, because i have received funding from the NHS, which to all accounts and purpuses could have been spent elsewhere :flowers:

I would have thought as a nurse yourself that you in particular would understand the politics of this more than anyone else.

Maybe you need the cynicism of 25 years experience before you become as completely demoralised as me by the constant whinging about how awful the provision is for this and that etc etc :rolleyes:

as someone who is in the system at the moment I do feel that my taxes, and that of my OH who pays 40% of his wages in tax, should offer us the health treatment that we require. We have been in the system for 5 years, its not easy at all and yes, if we had been in the situation where we had to go privately we would have done - we did have some private appointments - however I am lucky enough to have 6 treatment cycles funded by the NHS and I do consider us lucky to have them - they arent my god-given right as a tax payer but while they are offered I will use them.

A health defect in my body means that I am infertile, drugs to counteract that defect did not work, therefore the only way round the defect in my body is treatment - in my opinion that makes it a concern of the health service just as much as any other non-life threatening health condition.

• 3 weeks later...

:mecry: I have read through 8 pages of peoples opinions and everyone has the right to their opinion and i respect everyones opinion regardless whether i think it is right or wrong but some of the comments are insulting to those who cant have children or who are about to go under it...

Heres my story and its a long one, and i dont want sympathy but for those who say no it shouldnt be on nhs for whatever your opinion is, or foster or adopt, or dogs, just stop and think do you really know what ivf is all about...

As a youngster a serious assault happened... consequences were my right tube stuck to bowel and their fore not producing eggs... although i had lots of tests, this was never ever picked up...theirfore never treated.

Then i was a career girl and the thought of kids were never in my mind...the thought horrified me, then at the age of 29 i got married and all of a sudden i became maternal... then nothing happened and eventually went to drs where they discovered it was me at fault not producing enough eggs..

That was just a shock and it made me re evaluate my life, we discussed what would happen and i was to be put on the fertility drugs, low dose first, then higher dose but nothing happened....

By the time i got to this stage i was 30, i then had to wait 2 years for an endoscopy which showed up the problem... i was told then due to damage no way would i conceive naturally and ivf was the only route...

Another wait of 4 years, and we get to the open evening, in that room was over 100 couples all childless all hoping for a chance, all hoping and praying to be parents...we were told only 1 in 5 would conceive...

6 weeks later my treatment started, i was given a large bag of drugs to take home and put in fridge, and went on the nasal spray, this stops your periods, and puts you into menopausal stage, then you start on the injections to boost egg production, your moods are up and down like a brides nighties, your praying that your body wont let u down and will produce eggs, then at 2am in the morning we had to go to local hospital and have the reapers injection this starts maturing the eggs, sadly at this stage i got the potential killer where i had overstimulated and they were ready to pull me off it.. after pleading with them, they said as i was so close, i could go full term...

The eggs were then collected, they say it doesnt hurt but it does, they give you drugs and insert all stuff up your flu... and yank at the eggs to come off, i felt like a bunch of grapes been plucked...then hubby joined the scene and did his little bit :rolleyes: I went home double up in pain, felt as though someone had kicked me hard in stomach... That night they both met in the science lab, and we had a good result...We were then told that I had produced loads of class A and class B eggs, and a few class C eggs, Class A and B were good for using Class C wasnt...

We were asked to donate class C to science hopefully to help other couples in the future which we did, but stipulated as these were possible children of the future if they had been put back that no harm or tests or mutation tests would be done or anything that caused any harm to them...

I still had loads of eggs left over, and so said they could have some Class A and Class B eggs and donate them to couples who had low sperm count and no eggs... their fore giving some other couple a helping chance... which happened... We had a couple freezed and i had 3 put back...

This was after the day they were collected, but what was fantastic is we saw the ones that were been put back at 1 day old... the start of life, my babies if it all went right...

They were put back and i waked out really in pain now, and was told that if in two weeks time i hadnt come on i had to go back for pregnancy test... believe me your looking in yer knickers every five mins to see if your bleeding, is that cramp in your tummy start of a miscarriage, those two weeks seem like 10 years... the time doesnt pass...

I started to bleed but not a lot, and rang hospital an they said theyre not counting it as a total miscarriage, but unbeknown to me, one possible pregnancy had ended that day... We went to the hospital.. We had now been praying to god that just one, plsssss just one had settled in.. I did the pregnacny test and it came back positive and omg i just burst into tears..... pregnant i couldnt believe it.... then we had another test and were told I was having twins... This is something that i would never have dreamed off and the more the merrier...

We went home and kept the news quiet, and Motherinlaws birthday was looming and we sent her a card from Bleep and Booster, the grand children to be, everyone was over the moon...

Sadly further along the pregnancy i miscarried one of the twins, i was admitted to hospital and they confirmed i had lost one, then came the damning news that the blood levels werent right for the remaining one, but it was holding its own, they advised me it could be seriously disabled or even worse it had gone ectopic and i would have to abort it... This shocked me abort a baby after been through so much... no way... i was given time to go home and think about it, sadly god took the decision off me for a week later i was rushed back in and i actualy saw the little foetus. i sat their and cryed my eyes out, daft things went through my mind like if i push it back up would it cling on... and thrive... they then did my blood levels and it was showing i wasnt pregant no more...

Yes i got down like many who cant have kids or miscarry but who wouldnt.. i left it a year and i had my two eggs defrosted, sadly they didnt make the defrosting... I then left it another year until my other go, i didnt want to do it straight away i wanted to be in top condition... Sadly again i was pulled off the ivf very early on and was told i was no longer producing eggs at all even with all the stimulation and that i would never ever have children..

So that is my story, but what no one can take away from me is that i was a mum for a few short weeks...

Yes IVF should be on nhs... and everyone should have the same amount of goes..

They could make it a lot cheaper, dont give all the drugs out at once, the second time i had a fridge full of drugs worth £1,000 which were wasted as i failed early on... This could keep the costs down..

Remember if you have children you will never ever know, how a woman feels to be told they cant have kids, especially if they want them..

And some of the remarks in the thread have been insensitive, to people going through it... or have been.. my children deserved to be here as much as anyone elses who conceived naturally...

People could say all sorts of things like NHS, and im sure we all could think of things should we pay for... this that and the other, but until it affects you deep down, you will never know and its amazing how your opinions all of a sudden change..

We did look at fostering and adopting, prior to ivf but was told we had to give up any idea of having our own children, which we couldnt do at that stage..

That was nearly 10 years ago, last year i had the option to go and see another doctor regarding my tubes, i had to make sure that all doors were closed, they told me it could be a lethal operation as i could end up wearing a colostomy bag as it was attached to a large part of my tube... i rang the doctor and said thanks but no thanks and closed the door on ever having my own child...

Would i go through it all again if i could yes, definatley, should i pay, i think this time i would pay to go private as we could afford to, at that time it was 1500 to pay or 10k to private drs..

As i said their are loads of things that you think should or shouldnt be on nhs and we all have our own opinions but for those who made insensitive comments, i hope my story gave you an insight to ivf, not to change your opinions, just to be more sensitive... :)

Think you are all very brave :flowers:

I lost a baby when I was in 6th form. I didnt even know about it but they thought I was 5 or 6 weeks gone. It didnt really affect me as I didnt want a baby at the age, although I think if I had known about it it might have been different.

I think IVF should be on the NHS but the process should very much be stringant and perhaps like it is with adoption processes? xx

PS -I'm 25 and dont want kids. :happy: