UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Victoria Stilwell Article

When the DDA first became law, there wasn't a Staffy problem, but after the Pit Bull and the other breeds were banned, those that wanted that type of dog turned to Staffies and Rotties. If Staffies and Rotties are banned, I wonder what will be the next breeds to target.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've come into the debate late :wink: - but I do have one concern over the proposal for a compulsory training element to dog ownership and that is the fact that there are so many different training methods out there; who decides what the proposed compulsory training should consist of?

There are very wel known and highly thought of trainers who use methods that make me shudder - how many people would be happy to pay to attend compulsory classes that apply techniques and methods that we do not agree with, or do not suit our dog? one size definitely does not fit all - but there would have to be a "standard" that any compulsory training was delivered within....who will set that standard?

(when you consider which internationally renowned trainer is believed by the public to have most experience with fighting breeds, I suspect there would be an expectation from joe-public and many politicians that the "standard" would reflect his methods - imo, that would be a disaster :( )

Edited by Neoclassic Perk

Unfortunately not all breeders use KC and certainly not the puppy farmers, to get round it the Dog Lovers Regirstration to give papers to mass produced dogs !!

If I'm perfectly honest I would rather the KC were kept out of it, they do have the power to make things stricter for breeders but don't seem to want too if it means they lose income, just my impression.

I completly agree, but to me there's no one solution, and perhaps if the KC did get involved and started caring about the dog breeds rather than being a jumped up social club for the toffs ( :rolleyes: )

then something positive could come out of the whole sorry mess for the benefit of all breeds, IMO the KC is about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition, it's about time they did something for all those fee's they charge

I would like to thank every one who have joined the debate (although it was origionally about Victoria Stilwell). I have enjoyed this debate and i am not running away from it (wish i could continue). Unfortunately i am back to long hours at work now (after the festive holidays :beerchug: ) and will be unable to comment on a regular bases.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: To all :bigloveglass:

There's one question (that may look completely dim) that I have that hasn't been answered on this thread re: compulsory training.

If the training is going to be compulsory to being allowed to buy/adopt a dog...

...And you need that training to go ahead and get one....

...then who's dog are you training?

If the training comes after the dog:

a. how is it enforced?

b. what happens when owners fail?

Ok three questions. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I'll come in again...