UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Boxing

Anniegirl

Don't know if this will be controversial or not but thought I would put it in this section.

There is alot of hype at the moment about the Ricky Hatton fight but I just don't get it :unsure: . He comes across as a really nice person so why on earth does he want to go and fight someone and actively aim to cause them pain and why do people want to watch it.

Please someone explain to me why watching two men beat each other up is entertainment

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond me as well. I can understand people liking wrestling, judo etc and I love to watch Sumo which is a test of strength, balance and every possible skill, but why people think watching 2 people damaging each other's eyes, ears, chin and for goodness' sake BRAIN is anything other than horrible eludes me.

I like watching the boxing and although I don't have Sky so can't watch Ricky Hatton's fight, I will be rooting for him, not least cos he's a mancunian, he's a City fan, cost he's a friend of a friend and cos I've seen him fight and he's ace.

I can understand though why some people don't like watching it cos even I cringe sometimes when someone gets hurt. However, it's not just about beating each others brains out, there is some skill involved too.

Edited by madmerle

Another boxing fan here trying to find ways around paying to view so I can watch the fight tomorrow :laugh:

I don't understand many different things consenting adults making informed choices do in the name of sport or fun - I don't really need to understand it either. Some of it's not for me or stuff I wouldn't do or want to watch but then again I'm pretty certain somethings I enjoy others wouldn't.

Many sports carry risk not just boxing which these days is highly regulated.

I too know professional boxers they certainly don't do it for the money which in the lower ranks is a piffling amount and barely covers their grocery bills for all the good quality organic food that they eat. My friends partner is in bed by 10 every night to ensure 8 hours sleep even when not in training, he doesn't drink or smoke, rarely if ever would eat processed food, and works out every day, he is incredibly disciplined and dedicated and he loves it.

I like watching the boxing and although I don't have Sky so can't watch Ricky Hatton's fight, I will be rooting for him, not least cos he's a mancunian, he's a City fan, cost he's a friend of a friend and cos I've seen him fight and he's ace.

I can understand though why some people don't like watching it cos even I cringe sometimes when someone gets hurt. However, it's not just about beating each others brains out, there is some skill involved too.

Ahem He is not a Mancunian he's a Tamesideian or Hattersleyian :D

(sorry for the spam post but the facts needed to be put right :biggrin: )

I'd love to be able to see it, but as I don't even have a telly, that will be a bit impractical. I love boxing as well as martial arts, and I do thai boxing myself. There is not just "some skill" involved, it is all about skill and strategy. Don't think that these guys just walk into the ring and randomly start punching; you'd be flat out in a second if you did that. You won't believe the amount of training and discpline involved to achieve the level of the likes of Ricky Hatton; it certainly beats (bad pun!) sitting on the sofa in front of the telly with a can every night.

As for those guys punching each other's lights out: both have asked and trained for it, so it's not as if some poor, random guy, who's dragged in there against his will, is attacked and hospitalised. If it's with mutual consent I can't see what's wrong with that.

I'm looking forward to MMA bouts being shown on regular telly, might even get one again at that point! :wink:

Not to get too heavy or anything but I wonder if it really is as consensual as it initially seems. There is a huge amount of money involved, a lot of corruption and those involved seem inevitably to be working class men with little hope of earning that sort of money any other way. Yes, on the face of it they consent, but I wonder how much they are being used an manipulated by those who run the sport and make even more money out of it.

I don't know the answer Sproggie. I do know a professional boxer and he certainly wasn't used or manipulated.

Like an earlier post said the level of fitness needed is phenomenal, you couldn't train to that level unless it was something you wanted to do.

Also i don't think the background of boxers is generally any different to professional footballers who certainly couldn't earn that sort of money doing something else :flowers:

Not to get too heavy or anything but I wonder if it really is as consensual as it initially seems. There is a huge amount of money involved, a lot of corruption and those involved seem inevitably to be working class men with little hope of earning that sort of money any other way. Yes, on the face of it they consent, but I wonder how much they are being used an manipulated by those who run the sport and make even more money out of it.

I'd really like to know where you get the above facts from (I'm being serious here). The amount of money involved is absolutely nothing compared to, say, football. There are very few people, over here at least, who can live off a sport like boxing. And I'm not sure I like the portraying of boxers as men who are forced to do it because they couldn't make a good living otherwise. My thai boxing trainer worked at a sollicitor's for 18 years, making good money, until he gave it up to start his own Thai Boxing school. At least one of the other trainers is a very smart suited and booted guy during the day time, so not at all like the stereotype.

Like I said, there is so much training and discipline involved in sports like boxing, you just won't get anywhere near the level of making any money at all if you can't hack that. You have to consider everything you eat, drink and do with regards to your physical as well as mental health and fitness. Some poor working class doley who they've doped up just won't be able to do it.