UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Boxing

Anniegirl

My ex partner is a martial arts instructor. And while we were together I watched quite a bit boxing, thai boxing etc.

First I wasn't too delighted, but after I started kickboxing myself and started to identify certain punshes and techniques it became much more interesting, but actually only those fights which were technically interesting.

On Eurosport they sometimes showed the youngsters and as they were rather "bad" in technique it was less interesting.

I think as in any sport you will find corruption and abuse, but to get to the top, you have to train really hard and need a lot of ambition, no matter where (class) you are coming from.

My ex partner was quite good in competition in his "prime time" (long ago), but is not really from working class back round, nor are the guys he started to run a club with.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another fan here I'm afraid. I won't be watching Ricky Hatton because I refuse to pay to do so but I will be rooting for him :biggrin:

Boxing isn't a sport I would wish to participate in but I certainly think people should be able to if they want to.

Don't know if this will be controversial or not but thought I would put it in this section.

There is alot of hype at the moment about the Ricky Hatton fight but I just don't get it :unsure: . He comes across as a really nice person so why on earth does he want to go and fight someone and actively aim to cause them pain and why do people want to watch it.

Please someone explain to me why watching two men beat each other up is entertainment

As some others have said there is skill & strategy in boxing - perhaps as much in not getting floored as in flooring the other guy. Ricky Hatton has the opportunity to become arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world - it's the height of everything he's worked & trained for & he'll have worked b****y hard for years to get there.

The money he'll make will be very nice but the thrill of being World Champion will probably be worth even more too him.

I guess for the armchair fans amongst us there's a certain thrill in seeing him achieve it & maybe even a latent wish we could be bothered to become that disciplined ourselves? Making me wish I had Sky now :mellow:

Edited by Ian

My Dad boxed when he was young and boxed in the army. He did well. He wouldn't let my brothers do it and has advise me against even considering letting Ceri try it. Nuff said as far as I'm concerned.

Has he ever said why? I guess parents can be protective of their kids and don't want them to experience some of the blows that he got.

When I was little my dad went through a phase where he wanted me to do judo, so that I could defend myself if need be. As nothing that dad ever suggested was ever 'cool' I flatly refused, but now I wish I would of done it, or boxing or another martial art, when I was younger. It is a good skill to have and I do enjoy my thai boxing training, just wished that I'd started 25 years earlier! :rolleyes:

Has he ever said why? I guess parents can be protective of their kids and don't want them to experience some of the blows that he got.

When I was little my dad went through a phase where he wanted me to do judo, so that I could defend myself if need be. As nothing that dad ever suggested was ever 'cool' I flatly refused, but now I wish I would of done it, or boxing or another martial art, when I was younger. It is a good skill to have and I do enjoy my thai boxing training, just wished that I'd started 25 years earlier! :rolleyes:

It's the blows to the head he disapproves of, even with protective headgear.

ETA I can't bear to watch it, I have and can't see why people enjoy it.

Edited by mooandboo