UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sat Nav's

celeste

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a Garmin, I bought it for Rob and it's fab. We did buy a TomTom originally but it didn't do what the guy in the shop (the one wearing the Sat nav expert badge :rolleyes: ) told us it did, so we took it back, spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about, and swapped it for a Garmin. I'm not sure which model it is and we've not used anything else to compare it to, but it's great :biggrin: I'm sure we'd be equally as pleased with a different make/model though, Satnav rocks.

I've had 2 Tomtom's, first one got pinched, second one I thought had broken so in a rush I went and bought a Garmin, find them both very easy to use with no problems. Tomtom 1, I then found worked OK, it was a fault with my car and the 12v connection on the tomtom and my stupidity, so let a good friend have it. As far as I'm concerned it is a matter of choice. I do find the Garmin a little easier when using the address and not postcode, although the voice on the Tom tom was easier to hear in traffic, I can use the Garmin as a headset when driving.

Edited by Bernie

Tomtom 1, I then found worked OK, it was a fault with my car and the 12v connection on the tomtom and my stupidity, so let a good friend have it.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Bernie's Tomtom1 is now flying around the country in Brynn, the Wiccs mobile. It is fab and so easy to use.

I do argue with Thelma I'm afraid, and don't always trust her - but she knows her stuff - I got a new chip that covered UK & Ireland, and Thelma was a gods send last weekend when we were in Eire.

Apart from the time when I turned her on mid Irish sea on the way over to Ireland and she shouted at me.

"Please turn around, you have passed your destination! At the next roundabout, please turn around"

Sorry, love, I'll just have a word with the captain! Anyone seen any roundabouts in the Irish sea recently?

I was programmed for the port at Holyhead

Thankyou very much peeps, I did see a Tomtom that I liked, mainly because it says it works straight out the box tomtomdoes anyone have one of these ones ? and do you have to down load stuff and generally arsefart about with them ?

That's the wider screen version of the one I want, it's brill :biggrin:

How difficult is it to download stuff ? some folks on Amazon seem to have had a bit of bother

Piece of cake, even I can do it :rolleyes:

Oh heck picture in my mind of Bernie with a head band on and a sat nav tucked underneath it :laugh: :laugh:

Meant to say hands free, shows how daft I am. :rolleyes: Though wearing it on my head tucked beneath a headband could be a new fashion statement. :biggrin:

And Sarah, I argue with mine all the time often telling her to shut up, I know where I'm going, especially when going the wrong way along the East Lancs, she say's make a U turn but I can't 'cause they've closed the gap. :wacko:

Edited by Bernie

Thankyou very much peeps, I did see a Tomtom that I liked, mainly because it says it works straight out the box tomtomdoes anyone have one of these ones ? and do you have to down load stuff and generally arsefart about with them ?

When driving to Wales to look for Annie one time (nightmare journey) my original Tom Tom died on me due to a fault with the main battery. You can send them off to replace them but it has taken the company 5 months just to say "yes, we can do it, please contact...". My Dad bought me a new one (Tom Tom) whilst in Wales (desperate times) because it said you can use it 'straight out of the box' - That was a pile of crock :angry: You had to go onto the internet to activate it (great when you're in a caravan in Wales, hours from home :rolleyes: ).

Despite all that though I LOVE them, never tried any other kind and it has saved me countless journeys to London when I was meant to be going home to the Midlands :wacko: They save so much worry, stress and time but the map and vocal instructions do take some getting used to - the wider the screen the better when it comes to roundabouts as already said.

After much resistance, we bought a Tomtom about two months ago because we moved areas and were continually getting lost on all of the country lanes that are never marked up with their names to say nothing of constant road closures with non-existent diversion signs to tell us how to navigate around them.

Best thing we ever did!! Not been lost since and it hasn't failed yet to identify speed cameras

Yep, sometimes the verbal instructions can confuse on big roundabouts with lots of exits, but the visual screen sorts that out (we have it stuck on the centre bottom of the windscreen so we can see it when we need to check).

When putting in the post code, it not only takes you to the street, but to within yards of the house you are looking for within that street which is great here as a heck of a lot of houses only have names, not numbers.

Wouldn't be without my Tomtom now

we got a TomTom 710 ot 910 I think and find it fantastic.....we got the one with USA maps and used it in America, and Europe maps and OH has used it through various places in Europe including Germany and France....but it's been brilliant for us, it worked straight out the box, cause we stuck it to the windscreen and let it direct us home from the shop we bought it in!!

Edited by murtle