UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Our Police Force Be Armed?

merledogs

Do you think our Police force should carry guns like they do in the States?

Should they only be armed in certain seemingly-lawless areas or in certain situations (such as responding to robberies, etc)?

Personally I would like to see all our Police carry tasers at the very least but in certain places where gun crime is rife, I would like to see all officers armed.

As the wife of a retired police officer my answer is no I would hate to see them carrying guns. It is something we have spoken about in the past and Vince has always been of the opinion that if they ( police ) had guns it would give the green light for more of the criminal fraternity to go out and get them.

Terri

I think they have the balance about right now - ie even in Hull (which is by no means a highly violent crime area) there are Police Officers equipped with weapons within their vehicles. They are specifically trained and only called upon in serious circumstances with prior authorisation from Senior Officers and if they do shoot someone are put through the wringer trying to justify it - an example being the death of Simon Murden whose family insist the weapon was ornamental, he was not a danger, but a confused young man and his death unjustified. Sadly facing an unknown man in those circumstances, even as well trained marksmen, I don't believe they had much other option left to them.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/How-th...drama.978560.jp

A baton certainly, gas yes, a Tazor possibly, though I have my concerns about whether these are as safe as suggested at present, but I certainly wouldn't myself think it a good idea for every copper (& pcso?) on the beat to be armed with a gun. I do believe more criminals may then arm themselves.

I therefore think instead that those criminals found with a gun, let alone having actually threatened or shot someone with it should face far stiffer sentences than they presently get.

I lived in Japan for many years, all police officers were armed, we had very little crime, especially of the violent variety.

Interestingly I read a study a few years ago which looked at the very low rate of crime in Japan in comparison to other countries. It was the Japanese culture that was the given explanation, not any form of crime control measures per se.

Edited by reds

No in my opinion to all police carrying guns. Like it or not there is inevitably going to be a degree of 'trigger happiness'. They are trained to shoot, it stands to reason there will be instances where they shoot unjustifiably, albeit uncalculated.

Also, criminals are always one step ahead of every crime prevention technique brought out. Guns are not something I would like them to be even more advanced or crafty in!