UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Too Old?

nanvan

My Father in Law is eighty nine, and lost his adored little Cairn about two years ago. It was his constant companion, he has never got over the loss.

He would love an 'Oldie' to look after, and would pay someone to walk the dog (and he does have a small garden so it wouldn't be confined to the bungalow) but is realistic about his age. He couldn't afford huge Vet Bills either!

I wondered whether he is too old to be considered as a permanent Fosterer, so that Vet's bills would be covered, and Rescue backup would be there if anything happened to him?

He has an awful lot of love to give!

Would welcome other's views about this.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Father in Law is eighty nine, and lost his adored little Cairn about two years ago. It was his constant companion, he has never got over the loss.

He would love an 'Oldie' to look after, and would pay someone to walk the dog (and he does have a small garden so it wouldn't be confined to the bungalow) but is realistic about his age. He couldn't afford huge Vet Bills either!

I wondered whether he is too old to be considered as a permanent Fosterer, so that Vet's bills would be covered, and Rescue backup would be there if anything happened to him?

He has an awful lot of love to give!

Would welcome other's views about this.

Hi,

We are in a similar situation with my dad.

He is 78, he lost his poodle several months ago and he seemed to be coping until my mum passed away 8 weeks ago. He really misses the companionship of his little dog more now as he would have been a great comfort to dad now.

There are so many dogs in need of good homes we are looking for an older poodle or pomeranian, (probably where the elderly owner has died) for my dad to give a good home, maybe your father could do the same thing.

Good luck

Take care

Fay. :flowers:

I am sorry to hear about your dads loss and my condolences for loosing your mum :GroupHug:

Oldies Club prides itself that we take every family as a individual and therefore we do not have any blanket rules, as a matter of fact, we only rehomed 6 months ago a terrier cross girl to a lady in her 80's who is actually a foster keeper :biggrin:

However, Oldies Club does not usually have long term foster dogs unless the dog has fallen terminally ill in our care and is not rehomable, normally all our dogs are up for rehoming so that they may find the loving retirement home they deserve.

If your father would be interested in fostering, please email me contact details (landline tel number) to [email protected] and I will be in touch for a chat.

If on the other hand your father could not cope with having to give up the foster dog and is more interested in long term fostering, he might want to contact the Cinnamon Trust as they are also always looking for foster homes as do many other smaller rescues. :flowers: By the way, it is still possible to get pet insurance for oldies, so maybe adopting another oldie isn't out of the question yet :)

Cindy

Nanvan and redzlady, please can you tell us which part of the country your FIL and dad live? It would help us to direct you to rescues which may be able to help.

For poodles, I suggest you contact Poodles in Need who is a member here on Refuge.

Edited by owl

Thank you everyone for the replies.

My Father-in-law lives fairly near Swindon, in Wiltshire.

I was very pleased to look up the Cinnamon Trust Website, and have sent them an email, as this looks promising.

Will let you know what happens! :rolleyes:

Wiccaweys homes to older folks. Our oldest adopter is 91 now (sshhhh, don't let her know I've given that away) and that is one of the most rewarding homings we have ever done.

Each home and dog is judged individually.

While we are telling folks about the benefits of rehoming older dogs with 1 breath, how can you then be completely ageist and not let an older person who is more than capable of looking after a dog adopt? And base that decision entirely on their age?

So everyone is judge individually, and we just take more time and care with older adopters and have their own 'support network/family' involved with the process.

Its one of my big things that age shouldn't stand in the way of a suitable home adopting.

Hello i have Pmed you about a old collie boy we have in are care that came from the pound, we're hoping to find a long term foster for him where we would cover any vets bills.

Hi have PMd you again. My Father-in-Law very interested!

Have PM'd you nanvan

Ben

taken in the garden today with my mobile (so not very good), he is very camera shy and walks off if he sees my camera come out :rolleyes:

DSC00023.jpg

I phoned my Father-in-Law and told him that there is a possibility that he might be able to have a dog, and he was VERY emotional! I will phone him today to tell him about Ben!