UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Question For The Peeps In Uk

EGAR

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Queen and the Royal Family cost the taxpayer 62p per person per year.

UK has like what, 60 Million peeps?

Even at 62p per person a lot of good could be done with that money. Certainly a lot more good than keeping the Royals.

I'd like to see this Queen be the last one. Charles is a waste of space and from what I have seen of his sons they are arrogant and ignorant.

I'd like to see an end to the monarchy and an end to all peerages.

Can't stand them, the only one I have any sort of respect for is Anne as she seems to be a grafter and not afraid of a bit of hard work.

Just out of curiosity can anyone tell me why the queen is referred to as Elizabeth the 2nd, the UK has never had a queen Elizabeth before this one. England has but the rest of us haven't.

Terri

Terri, you've answered your own question :laugh:

Not really, I think the point Terri is making is that the Scots have only ever had one Queen called Elizabeth. Elizabeth the 1st was NOT Queen of Scotland.

they're German anyway :unsure:

I don't get that. I live in Britain, I speak English, I am a British citizen. I am British. I had a German great-grandmother, but that doesn't affect my nationality, and sadly, I can't even speak much German. :(

The Queen had a German great-great-grandfather. She lives in Britain, and speaks English. Her husband was born in Greece, but also lives in England and speaks English. Both of them are descended (probably) from lots of English people, as well as lots of other people from all over the place, including people from places that are now in Germany (but weren't at the time because Germany is quite a new country made of lots of little ones, which is why they have so much royalty to marry off). That is what we expected of monarchy : they were for marrying to foreigners in order to cement alliances with them.

I don't understand why they are any more German than my family, or indeed, why having some German ancestors would make them an unsuitable object for patriotism.

I hope that if we had a President instead (and I still think that running a President would probably cost at least 62p each) we wouldn't insist he/she had ancestors that had all lived in Britain for more than a century!

Ah come on though, we're always hearing about how rich and priviledged they are, but the flip side of the royal coin is that they're always on show, always on duty, aren't allowed to have a life of their own and are generally not free to choose what they want to do. The Queen and Prince Charles and the two young princes are always under scrutiny, and cannot do a thing without the media trying to report it. What priviledges do they get that they can actually enjoy, really? The Queen has so many functions to attend I doubt she can even have a headache in peace and quiet. Even her holidays usually involve state dinners and sitting for hours at functions that she probably can't wait to get away from.

Yes, reckon the likes of Anne and Edward (and possibly Andrew) can do what they like pretty much, as they seem to manage to have lives of their own, but I doubt the Queen and Charlie boy do, really. :unsure: I know I wouldn't like their lives. I admire the Queen greatly, though I think Charles could do with getting a backbone quite a few years earlier in his life. Then again, if he had, we wouldn't have William (and Harry I suppose).

There are worse things in the world to be than one of the Royal Family, I don't feel sorry for them, just like I doubt if they read my 'hardships' they're feel sorry for me. They have known from day dot that they would be in the public eye, maybe not the Queen as she was never destined to be in the limelight, and look how she has carried herself, unlike her sons who have always known their status. Not that it bothers me really, just that they should know better, they know nothing else but their lives do they so it is not like they have gone from being inconspicuous to being thrust into the limelight so they have lost nothing.

Not really, I think the point Terri is making is that the Scots have only ever had one Queen called Elizabeth. Elizabeth the 1st was NOT Queen of Scotland.

Yup the one we have now is the only one we have had up here, it wasn't until the other one snuffed it and the son of Mary queen of Scots ( who Elizabeth murdered ) son came to the throne that the countries came together.

You also have to laugh at Phillip always putting his great muckle feet in it when he opens his great big Greek gob.

Terri

Can't stand 'em meself. Yes they may rake in money from tourists, but what they stand for is oldfashioned and doesn't represent most of this country. I don't like arranged marriages, I don't particularly like how they treated women coming into their "family" and I just generally think they're not very nice people (and I don't rate the Queen any more highly than I rate the bigoted Prince Philip either, she's just as bad). Look at how they treated Diana and Fergie, and now Camilla. Bleurgh. Get shut of 'em is what I say. :biggrin:

Even at 62p per person a lot of good could be done with that money. Certainly a lot more good than keeping the Royals.

I really don't think that losing the monarchy would result in any government deciding to use collected taxes to do a lot more good! And I doubt it would hail a reduction in taxes either.

My response was rather tongue in cheek. I fully understood Terri's post. :flowers:

but what they stand for is oldfashioned and doesn't represent most of this country.

I know I've only chosen this line from your post and know it's probably more suited to another topic, but this country would benefit from some 'old fashioned' values. Respect to name but one!

Yup the one we have now is the only one we have had up here, it wasn't until the other one snuffed it and the son of Mary queen of Scots ( who Elizabeth murdered ) son came to the throne that the countries came together.

Terri

Taken from 'Terri's concise book of history'

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really don't think that losing the monarchy would result in any government deciding to use collected taxes to do a lot more good! And I doubt it would hail a reduction in taxes either.

I'd rather it was spent on almost anything than on the Royal family so it would as far as I'm concerned be doing more good.

It's an ongoing point of discussion in our house and has been for a long time :laugh: When I am running the country all the Royals, their hangers on and supporters, including my OH will be put against a ( very long ) wall and shot. If, on the other hand, my OH gets to run the country me and all my 'Commie mates' ( his words :laugh: ) will be put against an even longer wall and shot.

I know I've only chosen this line from your post and know it's probably more suited to another topic, but this country would benefit from some 'old fashioned' values. Respect to name but one!

I think we're talking about different individual values, but I wholeheartedly agree that the Queen could do with learning some respect. Respect for her family's choices, and for the people that join that family. Respect for the views of other people. Respect for the people that pay her to sit and get painted (cos that's all she does really *yes that's tongue in cheek*). She needs to learn respect for her people, which include people of different cultures and origins, and to do that she also needs to keep her husband under control.

Link to controversial quotes.

Nope, can't see a thing that's good about having a monarchy that's about 60-80 years behind the rest of us. I respect people who earn it. *lol*