UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

No Smoking Laws

raiye

No you are banned from smoking in your own home if you work from home and have an office there to which public (customers) have access, also if you store products.

Same as with taxi's, smoking is banned even if you are an owner driver and using it for your own pleasure.

When the smoking ban came in here, I managed a homeless hostel which included an outreach support service.

I had to advise my staff that they needed their service users to be told that if they were getting a home visit (or room visit) the individual receiving support was not allowed to smoke within an hour of their expected arrival and not at all while they were there.

I work in a vicarage which is obviously the family home of the Vicar. I got to work Tuesday to find an official "no smoking" sign on the office door - he had to apologise to me in case I thought he was having a go at me but he has been told that because a vicarage is also a place of work then he must display the notices on any space which the "public" might have access too, in this case thats the "office" and technically his flipping living room where he takes parishioners for private discussions etc. That is just insane, there are many smoking clergy and smoking family members, are they now to be banned from smoking inside their own homes?

This time it's smokers ... who is next?

To me even for those who believe in the ban this is surely going to far? Rebel that I am if I were a smoker and taxi driver or vicar I certainly wouldn't stand for that. I'm afraid my attitude (the polite version) is it's my home / car & I shall do as I please in it - so if you don't like it you can find a different one!

Edited by Ian

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait.

I used to get sick of my smoking colleagues effectively working an hour a day less than me because of their 'addiction'. If I had a gambling addiction I'm sure my bosses wouldn't let me go down the bookies a half a dozen times a day.

To come home from a club or pub not stinking of other peoples habits will be a joy, too. And don't get me started on passive smoking.

I am utterly utterly intolerant of smokers if they affect me and my quality of life. What they choose to do at home is up to them, but I am soooooooooo glad that, at last, the non-smokers will be protected from them in public places.

:laugh: I agree.

Have not read all 7 pages of this debate so far so wont write anything else yet.

I think its quite comical that this week i have had to put up no smoking signs all over the kennels despite the fact none of my staff smoke, its always been non smoking for the health aspect of the animals here as well as the fire risk and I am the only smoker and i only smoke in my garden as i dont like my house smelling of smoke. But if i dont fill the place with these negative signs i can be fined which i think is bloody ridiculous.

I do feel smaller pubs and working mens clubs type places where a few blokes could meet in the afternoon, smoke a pipe/ciggie etc and put the world to rights without hurting anyone will suffer most.

I would add that if i drink 20 pints i become an arse and want to fight and if i got in my car would be a menace and probably kill someone, where as whether i smoke 20 ciggies i am no more or less obnoxious. To me the bad habit with the most potential to kill and cause a public menace is the one that is still legal in the pub :angry:

I would add that if i drink 20 pints i become an arse and want to fight and if i got in my car would be a menace and probably kill someone, where as whether i smoke 20 ciggies i am no more or less obnoxious. To me the bad habit with the most potential to kill and cause a public menace is the one that is still legal in the pub :angry:

You can drink 20 pints :ohmy:

I am not coming on a pub crawl with you then, after that many I wouldn't be an arse just be sat on it (or under a hedge)

:laugh: :laugh:

well maybe not anymore lol... in my wilder days a 12 hour bender round liverpool would entail a couple of pints or vodkas an hour till i fell over or someone poured me into a taxi and sent me home :laugh:

nowadays my limit is probably about 12 bottles of wkd blue to get drunk and a pain in the bum :wacko:

I think its quite comical that this week i have had to put up no smoking signs all over the kennels despite the fact none of my staff smoke,

Was at Burnham couple of days ago and saw one of the new "It is against the law to smoke in this area" put on a leg of this famous Burnham landmark ,now how idiotic is that :rolleyes: Those legs are about 10' high.

Was at Burnham couple of days ago and saw one of the new "It is against the law to smoke in this area" put on a leg of this famous Burnham landmark ,now how idiotic is that :rolleyes: Those legs are about 10' high.

I used to live in Burnham nearly 50 years ago and I can see our house on the aerial pic of Pier St on that link.

I got my very first dog when we lived there.

Pam

I have to say that I am loving the smoking ban. For the first time ever my wife and I are going into places we would never have frequented because we now know we are not going to come out smelling like an old ash tray. People we talk to are saying the same. I am not sure that businesses will lose trade - I think it is more likely to be the case that the clients will change as non smokers venture into premises that have previously been "out of bounds" to them.

Went to Wembley Stadium for Live Earth concert recently - Did not see one lit cigarette inside the venue in the 11 hours we were there :biggrin:

What concerns me now is the increase in people outside pubs smoking. Round here we have a number of gardenless pubs so the smokers go outside the door. Bear in mind I'm a smoker so don't mind smoke - but my god walking through that fog at the door is gross and even makes me choke.

We also have a number of pubs with flats above - and people spilled outside on the pavement with drinks and ciggys and talking and laughing loudly - i'm darn sure I wouldn't like that - you should see our high street, which is a historic one littered with pubs all the way up it - there are people milling round the streets like you'd never believe, it looks and sounds awful - i guess it may change with winter setting in - but I'm pretty sure litter noise and trouble are now spilling oudoors too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether our vicar smokes or not and not saying whether I do or don't. I wholeheartedly admit to sharing the sentiments accompanying this notice though. Doubtless in these ridiculous politically correct times he'll be forced to remove it for fear of offending someone :wacko:

DSCF2239.jpg