UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

No Smoking Laws

raiye

Yes but they'll say these are paid for by the money they're saving due to less NHS money being spent on illnesses etc caused by smoking/passive smoking.

It's a catch 22 really as to be honest the government would lose a huge chunk of their income if all smokers suddenly gave up.They'll never admit this though.

I have been told this by various people in a position to know. so if everyone gives up smoking where will the money come from?

Also Roy Castle blamed his cancer on passive smoking while working the clubs etc but if that were the truth why does it not happen to all the other people who came up through the clubs?

I truly believe we have a pre disposition to vcertain illness's and if we live a lifestyle that doesn't thwart that pre disposition then we will get that illness/disease.

ie Ray's Dad had heart problems, he was overweight.

Ray's Mum died of heart failure, she was overweight.

Ray has heart problems and for the last 35 years or so had been overweight, he is not overweight now, he has almost cut meat out completely.

Ray's brother is slim, fit and has no health problems at all. He has always been careful with what he eats and stopped eating meat years ago.

All the above were/are smokers.

What really annoys me is that the police are supposed to fine anyone caught smoking while driving.

ffs If they cannot stop the idiots who use mobile phones while driving, specially the super duper idiots who text while driving, what chance of they of enforcing smokers who drive?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really annoys me is that the police are supposed to fine anyone caught smoking while driving.

ffs If they cannot stop the idiots who use mobile phones while driving, specially the super duper idiots who text while driving, what chance of they of enforcing smokers who drive?

The law has changed recently and if you are caught using your mobile for calls ( unless you have a proper handsfree kit ) or texting you get a fine of 60 pounds plus 3 points on your licence

The law has changed recently and if you are caught using your mobile for calls ( unless you have a proper handsfree kit ) or texting you get a fine of 60 pounds plus 3 points on your licence

I think what Kathy was meaning was that they don't seem to be doing much to enforce this law.I see people driving while talking on their mobiles all the time still.

I must admit I didn't know it was going to be an offence to smoke and drive though.Blimey that is going to be a nightmare for all concerned.

I think what Kathy was meaning was that they don't seem to be doing much to enforce this law.I see people driving while talking on their mobiles all the time still.

I must admit I didn't know it was going to be an offence to smoke and drive though.Blimey that is going to be a nightmare for all concerned.

I don't know about the police not enforcing the mobile thing, on talkback radio in London every time they cover the story loads of people phone and email in saying they have been stopped and fined by the police for it ( and got the points )

I did not know that the July 1st thing covered smoking whilst driving , does anyone have a link for that ?

Thank you :flowers: I did know about the mobile ban but have seen countless people involved with their mobile and not giving their attention to the road.

The ban on drivers smoking was in a report on the tv. They reckon that the driver will not be concentrating on the road if he is smoking. :wacko:

I'm a smoker. (Get that out of the way first!!)

I would never dream of smoking in someone,s house, unless they offered me a ciggie. In fact I wouldn't even take my ciggies with me.

I hate it when someone lights up after a meal in a restaurant. Other people are still eating and I think that it is very bad manners. In restaurants, smoking should be banned.

However I do think that there should be separate smoking rooms.With doors, so the smoke couldn't get into no-smoking areas. People would have the choice of whether they use them or not.

Work tried to say that smoking was banned in our cars whilst we were working. But as they are our cars and they don't pay us inbetween calls, they were told to feck off. Must admit I don't smoke while I work, cos I haven't got the time!!

I am a smoker.

I do not and would never light up in someone elses home if they don't smoke, I even leave the room and smoke elsewhere in my own house if a guest didn't smoke.

The ban doesn't bother me at all. I don't smoke in the car or in the nightclub I visit reglarly and I get sick to death of other people burning me and my clothes when the place is so rammed you can't get away.

Not sure if numbers in pubs will drop or not. The owners of the club I go to also owns a place called "The Stables" directly opposite. It's an outdoor bar with patio heaters and you can go from one to the other freely so I assume smokers will stand out there winter or summer.

Some friends of mine (hilarious company)went to a spa for a week. There was a smkoers room there. Most of the other ladies there were non-smokers and frowned on my friends as they were all smokers - but after the first night and listening to the laughter coming from the smoking room, my friends were joined nightly by most of the other ladies, only three stayed in the no smoking room and this went on for the whole week.

They said that the laughter did them more good than any harm from the smoke. :rolleyes:

It's an outdoor bar with patio heaters .

There's another problem with the new smoking laws. Patio heaters are bad for the environment. I still think that separate rooms should have been the way to go, with non-smoking staff having the legal right to refuse to work in those rooms whilst smoke is in the air.

I'm a smoker.

I don't especially like the smell and agree its not fair on others who don't smoke but i don't feel there is a genuine call for non smoking bars and nightclubs.

If there was then bars and clubs would already be non smoking. In fact there have been several non smoking bars which have tried and failed in Leeds - its not what the majority of people want.

I believe in a non smokers right to be smoke free but i believe in my right to smoke just as strongly.

What I object strongly to is walking along the road and there being loads of people standing outside pubs puffing away, I need to walk along the road I don't need to have smoke blown in face when I am doing so. I have probably inhaled more smoke since the ban came in than I ever did before it, I would much rather there was a room set aside inside pubs for smokers to be able to sit in.

I was coming on to post similar, but I'm a smoker. My life is hell these days since the smoking ban came in. To those of you who live anywhere near a pub, prepare for your life to change. I can no longer leave my house between around 8 p.m. (sometimes earlier) on a Friday night until 2 a.m. Saturdays are worse. Cannot walk dogs from around 4 (again sometimes earlier) until 2 a.m. (sometimes later) With people standing outside pubs comes fights, punch-ups, abuse, singing, shouting etc. Its horrendous. This is hell for me who lives surrounded by pubs.

ah now see the they don't work as hard as me attitude really really really pees me off. I'm a smoker... and i don't mind the new smoking rules at all, although my habits will have to change.

Thats something that has always annoyed me too. When I go out for my 'fag' breaks, nine times out of ten, I'm talking work. You get more done sitting speaking with someone having a fag than you do sitting in an office. Its also a great networking opportunity.

The smoking ban may have made the air cleaner inside pubs but what its caused is a huge rise in anti-social behaviour outside. I could have chosen to go into a pub and have a drink in a smoky atmosphere. I can't chose whether I can leave my home at specific times any more.