UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

No Smoking Laws

raiye

I don't smoke (anymore) but I disagree with the ban. Pubs have the right currently not to allow smoking on their premises, but they choose to allow it. Now all that will happen is that in the summer months - the seats outside pubs will be full of the smokers and in the winter, I guess it will be going out to friends houses not the pubs. Cheaper, but if places could self regulate, then we wouldn't need stoopid laws like this one.

What about the small local pub in the village that has two people in it...both smokers that pop in for a half at lunch time....nah, I hate this kind of regulation, I think it's laws for laws sake. As for popping out for a ciggie whilst out with friends....I wouldn't expect my friends to have to pop out for a ciggie whilst having a conversation, we aren't kids....

Rant over, off soap box!!!

sorry....

(having said that recently when catching trains, there have been so many people standing by the ticket barriers smoking really heavily which has been quite odd.....)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait.

I used to get sick of my smoking colleagues effectively working an hour a day less than me because of their 'addiction'. If I had a gambling addiction I'm sure my bosses wouldn't let me go down the bookies a half a dozen times a day.

To come home from a club or pub not stinking of other peoples habits will be a joy, too. And don't get me started on passive smoking.

I am utterly utterly intolerant of smokers if they affect me and my quality of life. What they choose to do at home is up to them, but I am soooooooooo glad that, at last, the non-smokers will be protected from them in public places.

Claz's comments pretty much sum up my own views on smoking. I absolutely detest this vile habit.

One of my jobs is working as a Marie Curie nurse 1 night a week, I see many patients with lung cancer and other smoking related cancers, this only makes me hate smoke even more!

Just a thought.

My Mum was born into a family of smokers, she was the second from youngest of second family. (Nana & Pops had a break of seven years bfore starting again :rolleyes: )

Mum's older brothers and sisters were all smokers and then at 19 Mum married my Dad who was a heavy smoker.

All the families on both sides were smokers and my brother and I both became smokers as did most of our friends who more or less lived in out house most of the time.

My Mum never smoked but spent most of her time in the company of smokers.

As you know Mum is doing well and will celebrate her 87th birthday on 30th July.

The only meds Mum takes are asperin (sic) and cod liver oil tablets.

Passive smoking miss my Mum completely.

What saddens me is the amount of workingmens clubs that will close (tv prog) because of the ban, why not have smoking and non smoking rooms?

My Dad died of Asbestosis contracted during his work and the war.

Two family members died of cancer.

One of my Dad's younger brothers (lung cancer) 62 years old and my Mum's youngest sister (breast cancer) 66 years old.

All the rest including my Dad lived to over 75 some into their late eighties and a few reach late ninties.

Perhaps as a family we have been lucky or is it in the genes?

My parents both smoke(d), as did/does the rest of the family of my dad's side. My mum's mum - to my knowledge - never smoked, and she died at the age of 88. My dad died at the age of 62 from something unrelated to smoking. His mum was an occasional smoker and she died at the age of 93; one of my best memories of her was me making her a rollie while she was in a care home at 91 (we also got pizzed when she was 86! :laugh: ). My mum is now 76 and smokes a few cigarettes a day.

I think that, whether or not you will be affected by smoke - active or passive - is a genetic thing, just like susceptibility to other conditions. Thing is, if you are susceptible and you're taking care of yourself by not smoking, it's a bit of a begger if you can't avoid being subjected to other people's smoke (like by, say, wanting to go out with your mates and have a social life). I think re-introducing smoking rooms would be a good idea, providing that they can really be separated from non-smoking parts of the building.

What really annoys me thoug is the local councils gearing up to employ people to police this. We can't afford decent hospitals, schools, free school meals for all kids (not something I necessarily agreed with but nevertheless a policy Hull was trialing & which the new Council has cut on cost grounds) and yet we can afford to pay people to do this? Just another stealth tax in my opinion.

Yes but they'll say these are paid for by the money they're saving due to less NHS money being spent on illnesses etc caused by smoking/passive smoking.

It's a catch 22 really as to be honest the government would lose a huge chunk of their income if all smokers suddenly gave up.They'll never admit this though.

I have no problem at all with the law.

If smoking is to be banned in work places, what about community workers?

What do they do if they have an obligation to visit the home of smokers? :unsure:

They can't refuse to enter the premises.

Why not just make smoking illegal....full stop?

(I am a heavy smoker BTW)

I am in favour of the ban in principle, but our local hospital became totally smoke free, grounds included, earlier this year.

Now when you drive past all you see in uniformed staff sitting on the wall outside having a fag, and it looks awful as you go in/by. This is on s direct bus route to a couple of the local high schools. Surely a smoking area within the grounds, but out of the way of the public would be better.

Im a non smoker btw

Someone I know went to Wales where the ban has started and said that the smoke free pub was the worst thing ever - because all she could smell was BO :ohmy:

yes I read an article by someone who had gone to a club where smoking had been banned and apparently the place smelt of BO, sick and drink slops....not that that's a reason for allowing it

It needs to be banned completely, I can't bear smelling the damn stuff outdoors either :angry:

In the past week alone I have passed several groups of 2 or more people out walking in the countryside whilst smoking. One party of around 12 people were spread out over a few yards under a close canopy of trees and each and every one of them had a lit fag in their hands. The smell lingered for some time after I had passed them due to the tree canopy and my eyes were streaming and I was wheezing enough to have to use my inhaler. I live in an area where people come specifically to breathe clean country air and to have this countryside polluted with cigarette smoke (not to mention the butts :rolleyes: ) galls me.

I did make me wonder if smokers are forming walking groups where they can be together to indulge their habit.

Marion

Im a smoker and have no problem with the ban if thats what the govt feel has to be done. At home i smoke outside and anyone who visits who wants to smoke also goes outside. I dont like the smell of it lingering in my house. When i eat out it tends to be with my family who dont smoke, so out of respect nor do i. It wont be a big deal to me, but i think perhaps smaller pubs who could go under with any large dropout of numbers should have been allowed to have a smoking and non smoking area.

As a smoker though, i would like to point out that whether i smoke 1 or 20 ciggies on a night out my temprament wont change so drastically that i will want to fight the world by midnight. pity same cant be said for the piss heads who are out at the same time

What do they do if they have an obligation to visit the home of smokers? :unsure:

Apparently we can though.We've been advised we can ask that people don't smoke whilst we're in their house.If it's very smoky we risk assess and don't have to go in.

Royal College of Nursing guidelines to bore you with if you really want to read!

Having said that if we seriously asked our clients to put a ciggie out while we visit them I think it's fair to say a good 50% would probably tell us to feck off :laugh:

What do they do if they have an obligation to visit the home of smokers?

There is a simliar situation in Ireland, if you have a company car, you are not supposed to smoke in it, as it is a "work vehicle".

When doing driving tests, testers can refuse to enter a car which smells of smoke, and you are advised in advance of this.