UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hard Hitting Speeding Advert

On a motors forum I read someone posted this up

before clicking the link be warned it is a somewhat graphic video - not gruesome just graphic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvJXqb_kUs

This is aired on TV in norther ireland as part of a sucessful TV campaign. It is a shame that the UK censors would not allow this sort of thing really. Be interested on peoples thoughts on this too.

(Put in contro purely because it didn't seem 'right' anywhere else.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see any reason not to show it but then I've grown up in the Rep of Ireland and have seen many such adverts for the last few years. :(

They're horrible ads but they work. I can understand not showing them before the watershed (if for no other reason then that younger kids don't drive so they don't need to see those ads just yet) but why would adults need to be protected from them.

A very powerful advert I thought and ones like that should be aired in the UK.

Unfortunately there are people who speed who will watch that and say that they are safe drivers at speed and it couldn't happen to them :unsure:

We know better though :(

Hard hitting indeed but being in a real A&E and seeing the real damage that looks quite light weight in comparison sadly :( It all looks quite clean and clinical.I like the idea of the courses they do in schools & to young people convicted of driving offences where they show real accidents and real injuries and real after effects.They actually film accident scenes,the cutting out of the victims etc...far more hard hitting and bigger shock factor.

sorry-i dont see that this sort of advertising makes any difference:

1. turn on casualty/holby/CSI/whatever fills your bag if you want hospital drama-where this kind of accident is portrayed with a bit of blood/screaming and usually some trite ending/crap acting. in these kinda things people enjoy watching human misery for entertainment-why should this have any impact?

2. watch any gory film if you want blood-plenty of foul modern horrors-anyone for hostel? i think most young people have seen plenty of deaths on TV wich were far more "exciting" then this. to be blunt did midnight express put anyone off thailand? di seeing american psycho put anyone off being chatted up by a sweet talking guy....

3. as a teenager i thought i was invulnerable-so other young people died? i was me and i Knew i was invulnerable-no TV advert would have convinced me otherwise

fee

Hard hitting, but hopefully will bring the message home.

I remember a radio advert about speeding, it said better to be late thatn 'the late, Mrs whatever. That has stayed with me. Some things are more poignant for some than for others.

there are times when controversial ads do get aired - i remember one a couple of years ago which i thought was fantastic ( for getting the point across ) but it was only shown after midnight, when the people they were aiming at ( drink drivers ) were coming home pished :wacko:

it had the word ars*hole in it so couldn't be shown earlier :rolleyes:

wouldn't bother me seeing that ad on the tv at any time of day !!

TV bosses are too bothered about upsetting people - i would rather they get upset watching the ad than living it !!

is it bloody at all ?

one the hardest hitting adverts I remember is one for level crossings safety, where the camera follows a rabbit hopping along the rails and you start to see personal possessions scattered around the track before a wide shot of the emergency services attending a car that was hit by a train

To be honest I don't think showing these kind of adverts makes any difference whatsoever !

Bet most people have seen the seat belt ones, the young lad hitting his mother & killing her and the pizza on the windscreen, yet how many still drive around with dogs loose in the car or behind of those flimsy dog guards with the rubber feet ?

In an emergency or crash the dog becomes a dangerous flying object.

Edited by Ingrid