UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hard Hitting Speeding Advert

I wouldnt want my children to see that. Wether in a commercial or a real accident.

I dont think we need to see the consequences on an advert like that, we know the possible consequences.

Everyone knows that speeding is illegal and dangerous yet it continues.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt want my children to see that. Wether in a commercial or a real accident.

I dont think we need to see the consequences on an advert like that, we know the possible consequences.

Everyone knows that speeding is illegal and dangerous yet it continues.

The thing is, we all know the possible concequences of speeding and accidents. But it is so easy to put it out of your mind unless you see it first hand - or it is either shown on TV often enough to get the message to stick in your mind - or it is hard hitting.

I speak as someone who used to drive way too fast. All the time. For me it was a real life fatal accident (not me, but it could easily have been me or anyone else who drives dangerously fast) that hammered it home how dangerous speed can be. This was before the concept of really hard hitting adverts - but I really feel that had I seen adverts like this and the other irish ones I would have slowed down sooner.

Adverts like this are usually shown late, so children shouldn't see them anyway. But if it saves lives I don't see an issue with a few kids seeing it - depending on age it may actuall stick with them when they start driving too.

It doesn't have to have a big impact to save lives. Some people will never slow down, but they may brake a bit earlier on a bend, or leave a little more room when overtaking. People allowing those extra safety margins will save lives.

I also didn't think it was particularly hard hitting - have seen worse on Casualty on a Saturday night :wacko:

I think we do have similar adds re road safety, like the rewind of the little girl, her blood returning to her ears and her bones snapping back into place.

That advert is far more hard hitting for me, it goes right through me but I think it's very effective indeed :flowers:

Also, the one where the bloke's eyeing up the blonde girl in the pub, has one more pint and then crashes into her with the table and she's lying on the floor in a heap, that ones very poignant too :(

There are imo worse ads shown over here, one is abstract in the sense it shows the impact longer term on family of accident victims.

It is generally believed that they have little impact on those who are statistically most likely to be in a serious accident here (young male drivers) as it fosters a kind of blame culture and a "that won't happen to me" attitude.