UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hard Hitting Speeding Advert

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother was a traffic cop (and so had to deal with lots of accidents), and he also ran the safer driving courses people could opt for instead of clocking up points....

His opinion? the younger the driver ( and therefore statistically the ones more likely to be involved in accidents), the less likely they took it seriously, although older drivers were more likely to take the message on board.

:( Very upsetting. I also found the Australian one powerful (young Mum and baby :( ).

I agree with some other posters, that those who should take notice of such stories probably won't, not until they either kill themselves or someone else.

sorry meant to say I have not watched it yet and wanted to ask is it bloody before I do

Thanks

It's not bloody no (there was some bloodied cuts on the face of one the people in a car - but not gratuitous and a quick shot). If you are concerned re the blood - please don't watch the Australian one I referred to in my earlier reply - that really is very upsetting :(

I don't think it is particularly hard hitting

( not bloody Sam )

I suppose like all advertising it might make a difference to some people.

Like all advertising though it would make no difference to me cos I don't watch the adverts.

Although slightly OT. I think we are too hung up on speed in this country. Statistically the safest roads to drive on are those that are designed to be driven on quickly such as motorways and dual carriageways. Percentage wise they have far fewer fatal accidents than 'slower' roads. Speed doesn't kill, bad driving ( for whatever reason ) kills.

I'd actually like to see a minimum speed limit imposed on the more major A roads. That way people wouldn't be allowed to dawdle around at 40mph frustrating people behind them.

I don't know if it will work or not, but if I were you Sam I wouldn't watch it, I found it quite upsetting and I know you're wimpy like me :laugh:

ahhh I just watched it before reading your post Jo and I did find it quite hard to view ( and you are right I am a wimp for such things ) I have no idea if it will change the minds of people who speed but it certainally made an impact on me

I think if such adverts were to be shown here they woudl have to be post watershed ( and maybe a little later ) as I think it is unsuitable for childern , but as others have said they are not aimed at childern so there would be no need to shown them pre watershed

I think we do have similar adds re road safety, like the rewind of the little girl, her blood returning to her ears and her bones snapping back into place. Or the motorbike smashing through the side of a car pulling out, the kids with the video mobile phone. Perhaps they don't go into the wider ramifications as deeply, but are just as disturbingly shocking. Not sure how much effect they really have, but if they prevent just one death, then they've worked.

I don't think these kind of ads work. Like somebody else said we see to much of things like this on soaps.

For years I've been telling my OH to slow down on roads, saying 'you don't get there any earlier by speeding, you just have to wait at the next junction longer'. His excuse 'when you drive for a living you have to get from A to B asap' he's was a white van man :rolleyes: . It's taken nearly 30 years of nagging for him to get the message and he now nags at our Sons.

I don't think it is particularly hard hitting

( not bloody Sam )

I suppose like all advertising it might make a difference to some people.

Like all advertising though it would make no difference to me cos I don't watch the adverts.

Although slightly OT. I think we are too hung up on speed in this country. Statistically the safest roads to drive on are those that are designed to be driven on quickly such as motorways and dual carriageways. Percentage wise they have far fewer fatal accidents than 'slower' roads. Speed doesn't kill, bad driving ( for whatever reason ) kills.

I'd actually like to see a minimum speed limit imposed on the more major A roads. That way people wouldn't be allowed to dawdle around at 40mph frustrating people behind them.

I totally agree with minimum speed limits and compulsory training before you are allowed on a motorway, especially in what lanes are for !

I've lost count of the number of times I've broken the law by undertaking some prat doing 50mph in the outside lane or having to move right over on a 4/5 lane motorway because someone is doing 40mph in one of the middle lanes causing total chaos because all the trafic has to move out to get passed them.

Then there are the SUNDAY DRIVERS who go everywhere at 30mph and slow down to view the scenery :angry:

It's not always speed that causes accidents, it's sheer frustraion caused by bad drivers, one of my old bosses had a good saying "You are only as good as the worse driver on the road". Working in insurance at the time we saw the results of it time and time again.

The local authorities here have taken 'workshops' into all the high schools. They include question and answer sessions with those affected by speeding/drink/drugged up/bad driving.

I attended one through a youth group I worked with....there was a local man who had lost his wife, their 2 year old child and his wifes friend to a speeding drugged driver, he was very candid and talked about identifying bodies and funerals etc :mecry: Also there was a young lad, wheelchair bound caused by 'his own bravado' in his own words. :(

It was very hard hitting, many of the teenagers attending were in tears, I do hope they remember those poor families when they sit behind the wheel :unsure:

I'm from Northern Ireland and these ads are shown all the time over there, there's a whole series of them. TBH I don't think they make a huge amount of difference as NI has truly terrible road accident statistics. Every time I'm at home there are news reports about yet more fatalities on the roads. General opinion seems to hold that it's a combination of lots of narrow and twisty rural roads and also a bit of a boy racer culture - a lot of the accidents seem to involve cars being driven by young boys/men. There are already restrictions on drivers who have just passed their tests over there, they have to display 'R' plates for 2 years and are restricted to 45mph but it doesn't really seem to make much difference.

I think ive seen harder hitting ones here than that.....

But, stupidly they are on at a time no one but insomniacs and night workers would be watching!

The one about horses on the road, where the horse hits the windscreen is quite horrible, then theres the one about (is it 'dave') the guy working on the motorways as part of maintenance crew and hes hit by a speeding driver rushing to get home.

I think they should show them with REAL dead people from REAL accidents - with that clearly displayed on the screen so that you cant go 'ah yes but its not real'....

The human brain is a clever bit of kit but one of its downsides i think is that if you can in anyway distance yourself from something, you will.

If its not real, on the screen then you distance yourself. Like smoking doesnt kill you instantly so you can kid yourself you wont get cancer, etc.

Whatever they show though, it wont have any effect if its all shown at 3am!