UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cheaper Good Quality Food

red-devil0602

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are on Dr Johns Silver. Is not because it is a cheaper food as I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to feed any of the premium brands if I chose to do so. They get Dr Johns because it is the ONLY food Logan can tolerate (and over the years I ahve tried just about all of them.

Logan had severe colitis and lower bowel disease as a younger dog and we very nearly lost the poor lad - it took me forever to find a food he could tolerate and it was basically a last resort to try dr Johns after my vet suggested forgetting the top brands and trying soemthing cheap and cheerful. he has now been on it a couple of years and looks a picture.

So a definite thumbs up from me.

I fed mine of Dr Johns for ages but I noticed that my one of my two started getting 'scurfy' skin lately so I changed them to another food and it now seems to have cleared. Autarky seems to be a good bet along with CSJ. Neither of mine would touch any CSJ. (Ceri will send you samples for your dogs to try if you email her). :flowers:

I feed both mine Autarky, a natural complete food that is specifically good for Working dogs. I get it from a farm up the road for 13.99 for 15 kilos. I also get Naturediet there for 65p a tray...I think they deliver, but you can also get Autarky online delivered for about the same price a 15kg bag.

Autarky and Naturediet here for my working cocker bitch who can't have barf like my dog. It's an excellent food, she loves it and it's only £10.99/15kg bag in Costco :biggrin:

ooh i just replied on the additives thread that i use dr johns as down all the time food to go with barf, i use silver because at 18 % there is less protein than the gold which is still low at 20% because mine get protein with barf. less poo than with other completes ive used and all the dogs love it

I fed mine of Dr Johns for ages but I noticed that my one of my two started getting 'scurfy' skin lately so I changed them to another food and it now seems to have cleared.

This is nearly exactly what happened with us recently. Dharma's skin began to smell really bad on the Dr Johns. Once we switched foods, it went away (the smell not her skin *lol*). She'd been fine for years on it before this, it was only recently it went downhill.

As some of you know i reecently split up with my other half and money is tight so now im trying to find a cheaper dog food for my 2 boxers, at the moment they are on Beta which is around £25 per 15kg, i don't won't to feed them crap food just for the sake of saving money so i was wondering what good quality cheaper foods there are out there. Having looked on the net have found some cheaper ones but don't know how good they are.

Has any tried Dr Johns if so how good and what is the difference between solver and gold? also do you know of an other cheaper foods? :wacko:

I agree with Wendy, Dr John's does suit all 4 of my Labs and is very reasonably priced. We originally bought the gold thinking that it was better than the silver until we spoke to our Kennel owner. He said that the gold had more protein and was better for working dogs, so we changed to the silver and all 4 became more content & a lot less hyperactive. Their weight always seems to be spot on and their coats are amazing.

Dee