UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Still Feeding Bakers?

ClazUK

That sunset yellow is a known allergen...but what amazes me, beside the fact they put it in dog food, is that tablets my husband was given to counteract a skin rash had *warning...the colourants in the coating of these tablets may cause allergies and skin rashes* Very logical that. I dont understand why we have to have these colourants added to everything either for us or our dogs.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bit of a thing about additives anyway being a veggie and appalled at the things they sneak into food and hide behind an E number.

So I looked up the ones listed in Bakers

E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma

E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being used in infant foods. So bad McDonalds have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.

E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia

E172 - Banned in Germany

E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children.

Prohibited in Norway.

E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them

E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals

E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.

E171 - Banned in Germany

E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.

Actually looking that lot up is enough to make you want to go organic :wacko:

Average Joe blogs ownes dog X. Average Joe blogs goes to tescos with family and thinks 'oh dog X needs food for the week'

Average Joe blogs goes down the pet aisle in tescos and mainly sees Bakers in brightly colour packaging ranting on about protein levels being good for strong bones and it has a list of vitamins and dog X really likes the food.

It is also relatively cheap

This is one of the main problems with people who have a dog but dont do much research into the diet and see a company with a massive advertising campaign.

Would writing to different companies that sell the food explaining the problems with it and explain the E colourings used are actually banned in alot of countries work?

Would writing to different companies that sell the food explaining the problems with it and explain the E colourings used are actually banned in alot of countries work?

That's a lovely idea but I don't think the company's that churn out this crap care about what goes in their food, as long as it makes them loads of money that's all they are bothered about. We could always get in touch with their chairman/board of directors and ask them if they feed their pets on the food they make :rolleyes:

I have a bit of a thing about additives anyway being a veggie and appalled at the things they sneak into food and hide behind an E number.

So I looked up the ones listed in Bakers

I tried to do the list you've just done, Sproggie, but gave up cos the blummin phone wouldn't stop. Mind if I nick it?

Average Joe blogs ownes dog X. Average Joe blogs goes to tescos with family and thinks 'oh dog X needs food for the week'

Average Joe blogs goes down the pet aisle in tescos and mainly sees Bakers in brightly colour packaging ranting on about protein levels being good for strong bones and it has a list of vitamins and dog X really likes the food.

It is also relatively cheap

This is one of the main problems with people who have a dog but dont do much research into the diet and see a company with a massive advertising campaign.

Thing is though, that these foods aren't always the cheapest. I think some of them at least are more expensive than other better quality foods.

I suspect these companies know full well what these E numbers can do unfortunately - I think the only way they're likely to review their ingredients is if enough people stop buying them. Just like lots of companies animal test but won't be bothered to stop until enough people stop buying their products :(

There are decent petfoods out there, but when was the last time you saw Naturediet, Burns, Arden Grange etc. with enough budget to advertise on TV.

I can remember a long time ago when a dog we adopted came with a bag of something beginning with 'P' and we were told she'd have to stay on it as it was all she could eat - due to her having a sensitive tummy. Thankfully we have a local, helpful petshop owner who said that was rubbish (both the food and the fact she'd have to stay on it!) and told me to try this other food and then after that we would be able to feed her anything. He was absolutely right, she's been on various different foods since then and she frequently has our left overs and has a very good stomach.

That's a lovely idea but I don't think the company's that churn out this crap care about what goes in their food, as long as it makes them loads of money that's all they are bothered about. We could always get in touch with their chairman/board of directors and ask them if they feed their pets on the food they make :rolleyes:

I know them, they live near me if you mean the Baker brothers :rolleyes:

Don't know about the Purina bit, but they definitely own Butcher's petcare, otherwise known as Midland Meat Packers, which went pearshaped after the mad cow crisis.

Midland Meat Packers Ltd Crick, Northampton, Northamptonshire. NN6 7TZ

Tel 01788 823711

Mods, please delete if inappropriate but I wonder if it's worth ringing and asking them to explain their stance on using E numbers?

Edited by supafrisk

Thanks Sproggie.

I've just chucked this all together in a Word Document to give to my customers who feed Bakers. I'm seriously considering keeping some on me for when I'm in Asda :laugh:

If anyone wants a copy (you'll need to tweak it cos it refers to our kennels) drop me a line at info(at)whitelodgekennels.co.uk :ninja:

I'm sure there's a mentality which thinks that if the supermarket sells it and lots of other people use it, it must be OK.

Perhaps we should be lobbying the supermarkets to stock some of the better brands of dog food? Our local Tescos stocks Bakers, Pedigree and their own brand (which is coloured like a tube of smarties :unsure: ). If they sold a brand I was happy to use, I would probably buy from them rather than make a special trip elsewhere for dog food. There must be lots of other people in that position.

At least then people who want to do all their shopping in one place would see there is more choice - and as Ange said some of the better foods are also better value.

I'm sure there's a mentality which thinks that if the supermarket sells it and lots of other people use it, it must be OK.

Perhaps we should be lobbying the supermarkets to stock some of the better brands of dog food? Our local Tescos stocks Bakers, Pedigree and their own brand (which is coloured like a tube of smarties :unsure: ). If they sold a brand I was happy to use, I would probably buy from them rather than make a special trip elsewhere for dog food. There must be lots of other people in that position.

At least then people who want to do all their shopping in one place would see there is more choice - and as Ange said some of the better foods are also better value.

I'm happy to make a special trip to get my pet food but I know a lot of people just buy what looks nice and is on special offer in the supermarkets.

I have noticed my local Tesco is now selling Natures Menu dried complete :)

Does anyone know why *good* foods are not sold in supermarkets :unsure:

Of the dogs we have coming through training classes. Over half those showing signs of hyperactivity and other behavioural problems are fed on Bakers. About a quarter are on Pedigree of one form or another.

With some of the dogs, even before we have done much in the way of training with them, changing their diet alone has made a noticeable difference.

And its not just the complete foods that are a problem. I had a chat with one woman who came in to class and said that she had changed the dog's food and it had made no difference. But she was still feeding huge amounts of dog treats and chews that contained just about every colour under the sun!!! Sometimes the mind boggles.