UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Will Not Fail!

barkingmad

Ok Hi all you fosterers (sp). I thought I would start this up for us. It is for when those weak moments come when you just know that this foster dog has to stay with you. :wub: We have had Rex since saturday and already I am having to remind myself that he is not staying. :wink: We ARE looking for a new home for him!!! If you have any funny, sad, happy, moving or any story really about fostering I would like to hear them. :biggrin: I am very new to this fostering so any help or support would be great.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most fosterers become abject failures lol, don't be surprised nor ashamed; it happens to all the best people. :wink:

Our first Oldies Club foster was an amazing dog named Seb, from the first second, he captured our hearts with his delightful character and the unconditional love emnating from his heart and mind, we felt we had no option but to make his visit permanent.

Seb was full of life and in spite of life's earleir experience he loved and trusted everyone, when the OC had an appeal for coats, knitters and knitting machines he appeared at our local BBC radio station and captivated everyone he met. He appeared in our local newspaper in order to promote the plight of Oldies and to encourage people to become involved in the organisation.

He was an inspiration and delight, loved to play football with stones, on the Thetford Walk he delighted in walking with all his new found friends and with those whose help and care guided him to his forever family home at the MuttHutt; Seb basked in the joy of being loved and of loving!

In this world we see many faults in mankind, we are surrounded by peer pressure and political correctness telling us what we should do etc, I have discovered much happiness can be found in alleged failure. :biggrin:

If you think it's right, it usually is! :)

Well I'm certainly not the right person to give good advice :rolleyes:

My only venture into fostering lasted a whole four days before we decided Musky wasn't going anywhere (I blame my daughters who adored him from the moment he arrived). Musky loves everyone, but he has bonded really closely with my 14 year old, who has decided he is 'her' dog. He follows her everywhere and sleeps on her feet in the evenings :wub:

People who foster are fantastic. In a way I wish we hadn't 'failed' so I could try it again - but then I couldn't give Musky up for the world now either :)

I am a failed fosterer and came extremely close with my last one, jack, in fact if I hadn't homechecked his new home myself and new what wonderful people he was going to I most probably would have.

The dog I did fail with, I fought tooth and nail against it but in the end I knew it was right for him to stay with me.

If you can [pass them on and help another good for you, if you fail then good for you again :laugh:

I'm a complete foster failure. :laugh: I've fostered 3 and kept 2. The first was with me for 2 days and only went because he already had a home offer when I took him in.

Sheena, collie x, was my first foster for the Oldies Club. Took her in Nov 05 and adopted Jan 06. She's 12

Issie, Italian Spinone, took her in Dec 05 and adopted Feb 06. She's also 12. She had a lot of medical issues when we first got her and is a good age for a Spinone so I don't really think we ever thought she would be going anywhere in any case.

I hold my hand up and say I just can't do fostering.

I think we need a picture of Rex at this point................ :biggrin:

I don't know how the Oldies Club compares with other rescues in terms of failed fosterers, but just from observation our percentage of foster 'failures' seem very high! There's just something about the oldies, once they are snuggled on your sofa it's very hard to let them go :wub:

Fantastic for the dogs who end up in perfect homes - but it means poor Cindy has to mount a continual recruitment drive for new fosterers :rolleyes:

We don't call them "foster failures" and haven't done for awhile...they are "Foster Keepers" as we don't think they have failed in any way...they fostered...fell in love...and kept...everyone is happy as the dog is then settled in its forever home.

Well done to all you Foster Keepers and the fosterers who can let go to help another needy soul.

I have come very close to becoming a keeper! especially two little yorkies Tanner and Sadie :wub:

but I have to tell myself if we keep we cant help anymore :worried_anim: , our house isnt that big and with 5 kids and 3 dogs of my own plus usually one or two fosters we cant cram anymore in....plus theres the cat, the bird, the fish and the ferrets..and the hubby :exclamation:

I'm a terrible foster "keeper" :(

We have fostered 8 dogs and kept four. I can't really take any credit for the four we did manage to let go either. Two we had to return to the rescue as they just didn't fit in with us and ours for one reason and another, and the two we did home we only had a couple of weeks, we homechecked them ourselves and we cried like babies when they went.

I foster small furries now instead. I do better with them..I worked out my failure rate with them last year was about 3% :biggrin:

Psst! I'll let you into the secret of not keeping the foster dog.... make sure you are full to the brim already!

We have 3 of our own (have had four so could be on dodgy ground here!) plus three fosters

Meet the gang

Tiff

TheGang006.jpg

Jester (the only foster we ever kept)

Jester3.jpg

Castle

Castle1.jpg

and the fosters:

Tom

Tom.jpg

Jerry

Jerry.jpg